SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-11-15, 06:52 PM   #1
thulfi

Default Manual vs automatic?

Hi orgers,

So I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a BMW 520d Msport in the next few weeks. My 2005 Golf has been used and abused over the last 120k miles so time for a change.

Researching BMW forums and review sites online, most seem to think that going for the 8 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters over the 6 geared manual equivalent is a no brainer.

I've driven a few of my mates similar type cars that are triptronic/steptronic or whatever they call them and can appreciate that you can have some control over these auto gear boxes, but it's just not the same as a manual car is it really? I know manuals are becoming less popular on these types of cars and resale in the future may be tougher but I don't know if I can bring myself to buy anything but a manual.

I'm currently open to any view points, or perhaps just some encouragement from fellow manual lovers.

Genuinely still undecided though.

cheers
Old 14-11-15, 07:20 PM   #2
Stinka

Default Re: Manual vs automatic?

I'm not a fan of autos, but modern ones are very smooth. A big 5 series will be sound in automatic guise, if an auto came up and it was the right car buy it

But they are nothing like manuals in that the manual control is a big compromise and still gimmicky. So after you've messed about with the switch tronic thing for a few times you'll just leave it in auto forevermore

I've been in and driven a few late beemers whilst searching for a new car, I was a vw tech for 7 years, and have many motortrade contacts, I think it's very much personal opinion. Go test drive few

Last edited by Stinka; 14-11-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 14-11-15, 08:21 PM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I've driven the 530 in manual and auto for work. I'd get the auto. The BMW box is superb.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 08:34 PM   #4
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinka View Post
A big 5 series will be sound in automatic guise, if an auto came up and it was the right car buy it
I've narrowed it down on autotrader between two identical cars, but ones manual and the others automatic, so that's where I am at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
I've driven the 530 in manual and auto for work. I'd get the auto. The BMW box is superb.

Pete
I've only heard great things about the BMW box, but did you find the automatic more enjoyable to drive in general? Didn't miss clutching and gearing for yourself on the manual?
Old 14-11-15, 08:40 PM   #5
mattSV
Mega Poster

I always swore I would never have an auto, however the 8 speed ZF in my Jag is brilliant.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 09:27 PM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
I've narrowed it down on autotrader between two identical cars, but ones manual and the others automatic, so that's where I am at the moment.

I've only heard great things about the BMW box, but did you find the automatic more enjoyable to drive in general? Didn't miss clutching and gearing for yourself on the manual?
It's a new skill-set. Leave it do do its own thing or go semi-auto and learn to get the best from it yourself.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 09:34 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
It's a new skill-set. Leave it do do its own thing or go semi-auto and learn to get the best from it yourself.
Then break it and call it a pile of German ****

I would test drive them. Got 2 friends with very similar 320d one auto and one manual and they are different

sent with all the fury of a clogged drain!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 09:35 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Keep the old car and save an absolute shedload of money,then spend that on the things that really matter in life.Like a house or some unforgetable experiences/foriegn travel and stuff.Ten years from now you wont think I wish I had blown a load of dosh on German cars,but you might regret not visiting South America or wherever when you could have.
IMO.
Old 14-11-15, 11:54 PM   #9
Mrs DJ Fridge

Well if you must buy a BMW all I can say is it is better than an Audi, surely whether you have manual or automatic depends on what you wish to use the vehicle for, auto if you spend hours on motorway and need cruise control, manual if short trips that you always want to annoy everone at the lights by being the first away, after the bike of course.
Old 15-11-15, 12:06 AM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I've got a 7 series auto and love it. For a big car it doesn't feel at all sluggish, it's very responsive. I don't miss changing gear one bit and have fun beating the little chavs away from the traffic lights, but hey, I'm in Essex. Just a word of warning though, there's a little stick thing that pokes out near the steering wheel. You can flick it up and down apparently but I have to say I've never tried it, I think it must be there for decoration.