SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-04-10, 12:13 PM   #31
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Poll Tax

That's a completely different argument about whether local councils provide national benefit. e.g. I don't live in Manchester so don't pay any taxation there, but if I went there I would be quite happy if they had roads to use & a Police force to ensure I was safe.

We are discussing how the councils should raise the local element.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 12:15 PM   #32
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
That's a completely different argument about whether local councils provide national benefit. e.g. I don't live in Manchester so don't pay any taxation there, but if I went there I would be quite happy if they had roads to use & a Police force to ensure I was safe.

We are discussing how the councils should raise the local element.
i was asking what the point of a locally raised element is.
Old 01-04-10, 12:17 PM   #33
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
No, you were saying local council taxation should be used to redistribute the wealth! Two seperate (at least) issues here; redistribution of wealth on a national scale, and raising of funds on a fair and equal scale for council services.

Last edited by Warthog; 01-04-10 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 12:17 PM   #34
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Redistributing wealth at a local level doesn't work. What use is redistributing wealth in Mosside? or Mayfair? but redistributing wealth from Mayfair to Mosside does make sense (unless you're completely facist )
Old 01-04-10, 12:18 PM   #35
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
taxes aren't just about getting people to pay for what they use. as (stu?) said earlier it's also about redistribution of wealth.
And as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, local taxes such as Council Tax (as it is now) are for paying for local services. It is set independently (sort of!) of central government. It should have nothing to do with stealing from the rich to give to the poor! As it is, local tax from better off families who don't consume as much of the indirect services (housing benefit, day centres, etc) are paying more than their 'share' of what they consume and that subsidises these indirect services.

Quote:
it's also worth noting that council tax does not constitute all of a council's income, it also gets money from centrally gathered taxes (from government).
Which is where your re-distirbution argument may carry some weight, by taking tax raised in wealthy areas and giving it to councils in deprived areas.Using tax to re-distribute wealth is not what tax is for IMO, but most folks views on this vary, depends on what side of the political spectrum you sit.

The Community Charge was very neutral in this regard and therefore a good tax, the council decided how much they needed than split it equally between those eligible to pay. Fair
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 12:20 PM   #36
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
No, you were saying local council taxation should be used to redistribute the wealth! Two seperate (at least) issues here; redistribution of wealth on a national scale, and raising of funds on a fair and equal scale for council services.
i didn't say anything should or should not be done.

i was trying to make the point that the majority of funding that councils receive is from central government and not council tax.
Old 01-04-10, 12:21 PM   #37
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Because that's where most of the benefit of the services that they provide goes! Why should I pay for local services in Manchester? FFS I never go there & I never want to! If you don't match the services with the cost, then the cost will just spiral. A bit like going out for a meal with friends & splitting the bill. If you're going to pay for exactly what you eat you might not order a starter & desert, whereas if everyone else is & you're splitting the bill equally you may as well.

Old 01-04-10, 12:21 PM   #38
sarah

Quote:
Redistributing wealth at a local level doesn't work. What use is redistributing wealth in Mosside? or Mayfair? but redistributing wealth from Mayfair to Mosside does make sense (unless you're completely facist )
lol.

want to continue the debate in the pub later?
Old 01-04-10, 12:22 PM   #39
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yes it is a role of taxation to redistribute wealth from rich to poor,
No it is not.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 12:24 PM   #40
Stu