SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-11, 02:40 AM   #1
rbrudder

Default Aztec8 Turn Signals

I bought my SV650 wrecked and I'm trying to install the Aztec8 4" headlight kit with the turn signals. I've got the lights to work but the only wires that were applicable to be turn signal wires just illuminate the turn signals. They don't blink. The wiring harness for the headlights had been messed with quiet a bit and I don't see the typical ends that people have listed for stock front turn signals. But, again, the wires that I am testing on the light wiring harness are the only wires that have two pairs of wires. They are brown and white/black. They originally had a small black two prong connecter on the the ends. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-11, 10:05 AM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Aztec8 Turn Signals

What year and model have you got?

I think brown might be the position lamp/sidelights. If you've got two of those I'm guessing you've got a faired pointy/2nd Gen?

For the indicators you need a common Black/White for each side. The other wire for each turn signal will be different colours for left and right (IIRC on the 1st Gen they're Black for one side and Light Green for the other - can't remember which is which but easy enough to work out).

If you identify the model someone might have the wiring diagram and be able to point you in the right direction in case Suzuki changed the colours.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 01:35 PM   #3
rbrudder

It is a second gen 03.
Old 01-09-11, 02:44 PM   #4
TamSV
Mega Poster

Ok. You've definitely found the sidelights so they'll be always on when the bike's running.

The 03 wire colours are the same as 1st gen in this case, so you need to find a light green wire for the RH turn signal and a black wire for the LH. Each of those wires should have a black/white partner but you could use the black/white you've found for the sidelights as they're all going to the same place.
Old 01-09-11, 09:39 PM   #5
rbrudder

Thank you very much for the help! I got the right turn signal to work but I've had no luck with the left. Both rear turn signals work though, which to me, is the most important part. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-11, 10:34 PM   #6
TamSV
Mega Poster

I take it you found the black wire OK? Does the indicator light in the instrument cluster work for the LH signal? If so then all other parts of the circuit are OK so I'd suspect a break in the wire where it splits off for the turn signal.

You could trace it back to the join and, if you can't find and repair the split, splice in a new piece of wire and see if that works.

Double check that your connections are good first. If your lights are LED's then try swapping over the wires as LED's are unipolar so will only work one way whereas filament bulbs don't care which way they're connected.

Last edited by TamSV; 01-09-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 01:49 AM   #7
rbrudder

TamSV, thanks so much for the help. I did find the black wire. I noticed that left turn signal light on the gauge illuminates for only a split second and then turns off. It doesn't blink. Do you think that this means the problem lies within the control box?
Old 02-09-11, 10:06 AM   #8
TamSV
Mega Poster

That's strange.

Has the previous owner maybe incorrectly wired in a relay or resistor somewhere? Trace those black wires back from the turn signal and instruments and see if you can find anything he might have messed up. If you come across any connectors check them for corrosion and good contact. Check the connector behind the instrument panel too.

Last edited by TamSV; 02-09-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 07:00 PM   #9
rbrudder

I found out that the issue lied in the rear. I hadn't installed my rear turn signals yet and my left rear positive and ground wires were touching. Apparently this caused a short and didn't allow the front turn left front turn signal to work either. Once I installed the rear turn signals and insulated them the front left start working. Thanks for all the help TamSV.

Last edited by rbrudder; 02-09-11 at 07:03 PM.