SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-06, 12:24 AM   #1
Booker909

Default '03 SVs No Electric!

Hi this is my first post. I hope no one minds that it's a technical post but I can't make any progress with this problem. I'm glad I found this forum because I don't want to have to take my bike to a shop around here. Its an 03 SV650S.
Turn the key and there's nothing. No clicks, no lights, nothing. I had the battery tested and its good. I tested the regulator/rectifier, generator coil, and starter relay with a multi circuit tester and they all are good (I used the values in the SV Service manual). All the fuses are good. I pushed all the connections throughout the bike together in case they were loose. I would test the ignition but I can't separate the coupler for the life of me.
Anyone have any ideas on how to pull the ignition coupler or any other things I need to check?

Thanks in advance - Jon
Old 07-05-06, 12:39 AM   #2
ryancor

Might be a stupid suggestion but have you checked the kill switch...I know I've wasted many hours stripping the bike down to find I have knocked the kill switch half way round??!!
Old 07-05-06, 12:55 AM   #3
Razor

No point checking the ignition if you're not getting power to the clocks. Check for damage to the wiring loom. Who checked the battery for you? What was the result?
Old 07-05-06, 02:05 AM   #4
Booker909

Thanks for the quick reply! Well the kill switch has been moved back and forth all the time because every time I go out to work on it, I first try to start it up like normal. I've gone over the whole wiring harness and haven't found any damage. But why couldn't it be the ignition? If the contacts aren't being "joined" when the key is turned to the on position, nothing would come on as I described originally. I took the battery to an auto parts store to be checked.
Old 07-05-06, 02:38 AM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Have you checked the main fuse thats in the starter relay?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 02:46 AM   #6
Booker909

That's the 30 amp one I believe right? Yep checked that one and every other fuse.
Old 21-05-06, 04:05 AM   #7
Booker909

Figured I update this in case anyone else has this problem. So what happened was due to over exposure of rain to the lock assembly (where the key goes in). I spliced the brown wire and large orange one together from the ignition and that gave me all my lights back. The FI didn't work but once I replaced the lock assembly it was all good. However, I never could separate the coupling from the wiring harness so I had to buy new ones and cut the wires on the harness.
On a side note, I had all the body work off the bike when I was doing this and rode it around the lot. The SV is so much more manueverable without the fairing and tail! It felt much nicer. So now I'm thinking of getting a headlamp and throwing that on the front and just riding like that. I can actually still use the same mirrors if I leave the frame for the fairing on. It looked pretty badass. I know some people change theirs to more of a touring bike but screw that. Love the aggressive stance without the fairing.