SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-06-16, 11:03 PM   #221
nutzboutbikes

Default Re: EU Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would rather not get into a debate about what Scotland owes but lets look at the facts. Scotland get a budget each year, we cant borrow if we need too. the Scottish public have paid their tax/duty/NI regarding the security and maintenance of the United Kingdom just like Wales and Northern Ireland have. Scotland look after their own NHS etc.etc from said budget. when Scotland got its own Parliament the UK debt was in the billions figures. Scotland has seen no extra money on its budget during the borrowing of Westminster. if Westminster can prove that Scotland owe over and above what it has spent and given to the UK for 'maintenance' then i would presume that yes we will pay it back. this is like me saying to you, i'll give you a house and give you a budget now get on with it. but at the same time i'm going to borrow on the equity while you stay there to support all the rest of the houses i own. so the years go by and things work out that you dont spend over your budget but then you decide to buy the house. i then turn round to you and say ermm wait a min i owe money on that house due to borrowing to support the other houses so you need to give me what i owe on that house.

basically Westminster has borrowed money on the equity of Scotland but Scotland has not seen any of this borrowed money due to Scotland getting a budget. yes the budget has been a fine line of give and take for a very very long time and i think Westminster will have to prove that we have used more than we have given. Scotland may be part of the UK but we are still a country within the unity with our own laws etc.etc. we are not part of England we are part of the UK. so if Scotland leave the UK should we also pay Wales and Northern Ireland as well.

can you tell me what Scotland has gained or what has been spent in Scotland from the national debt?

Greece on the other hand have borrowed for the whole country on the equity of that country and used the funds for the whole country.

i do agree that life should not be just about money and i personally tend to live my life that way and use money as a 'tool' but the cold hard facts are that money is essential for living.

So you are saying whilst the rest of the UK has been borrowing money to pay for things like the NHS, housing, benefits and schools etc, Scotland has had none of this money?, So Scotland is rich! so why has Scotland not helped the rest of us out if its so rich?, well I can see now that the United Kingdom really is Wales, England & N.Ireland, Scotland has had it fair share of the £1.7 trillion just as the rest of us have, I only hope that the UK put a debt on Scotland so you leave us with debt. F*ck You very much.
Old 28-06-16, 11:05 PM   #222
Bri w

Quote:
i would rather not get into a debate about what Scotland owes but lets look at the facts. Scotland get a budget each year, we cant borrow if we need too. the Scottish public have paid their tax/duty/NI regarding the security and maintenance of the United Kingdom just like Wales and Northern Ireland have. Scotland look after their own NHS etc.etc from said budget. when Scotland got its own Parliament the UK debt was in the billions figures. Scotland has seen no extra money on its budget during the borrowing of Westminster. if Westminster can prove that Scotland owe over and above what it has spent and given to the UK for 'maintenance' then i would presume that yes we will pay it back. this is like me saying to you, i'll give you a house and give you a budget now get on with it. but at the same time i'm going to borrow on the equity while you stay there to support all the rest of the houses i own. so the years go by and things work out that you dont spend over your budget but then you decide to buy the house. i then turn round to you and say ermm wait a min i owe money on that house due to borrowing to support the other houses so you need to give me what i owe on that house.

basically Westminster has borrowed money on the equity of Scotland but Scotland has not seen any of this borrowed money due to Scotland getting a budget. yes the budget has been a fine line of give and take for a very very long time and i think Westminster will have to prove that we have used more than we have given. Scotland may be part of the UK but we are still a country within the unity with our own laws etc.etc. we are not part of England we are part of the UK. so if Scotland leave the UK should we also pay Wales and Northern Ireland as well.

can you tell me what Scotland has gained or what has been spent in Scotland from the national debt?

Greece on the other hand have borrowed for the whole country on the equity of that country and used the funds for the whole country.

i do agree that life should not be just about money and i personally tend to live my life that way and use money as a 'tool' but the cold hard facts are that money is essential for living.
If Scotland hasn't been able to borrow how did it run a £15billion deficit last year? A deficit of 9.7% of GDP, whilst England had a deficit of 4.7% of GDP. Most definitely used more than was given. The SNP's policies, thankfully, aren't as austere as those in England but I'd argue are too far the other way.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 11:15 PM   #223
Bibio
Mega Poster

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Governmen...m/borrowingetc
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 11:23 PM   #224
nutzboutbikes

If the UK is borrowing money to live Scotland are also living on borrowed money.

I would also like to apologize for loosing my cool in my last post, words lost me and I had a moment.
Old 28-06-16, 11:31 PM   #225
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
So you are saying whilst the rest of the UK has been borrowing money to pay for things like the NHS, housing, benefits and schools etc.
as far as i know this comes out of Scotland's budget, why do you think that we have free prescriptions and higher education. it was proven in the Scottish referendum that Scotland is give and take with its budget figures.
Old 28-06-16, 11:32 PM   #226
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:

I would also like to apologize for loosing my cool in my last post, words lost me and I had a moment.
get exited all you like its your prerogative
Old 28-06-16, 11:39 PM   #227
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
as far as i know this comes out of Scotland's budget, why do you think that we have free prescriptions and higher education. it was proven in the Scottish referendum that Scotland is give and take with its budget figures.

Where does the Scottish budget come from? It must come from the UK budget!
Old 28-06-16, 11:42 PM   #228
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
get exited all you like its your prerogative
game on sir!.

Last edited by nutzboutbikes; 28-06-16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 28-06-16, 11:44 PM   #229
Bibio
Mega Poster

some quick calculations, if Scotland were to have to pay back part of the national debt it would be based on per head of population yes?

if so then Scotland owes in the region of 135bil so paying it back at around 7bil a year exc interest would take us around lets say 25years.
Old 28-06-16, 11:59 PM   #230
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Where does the Scottish budget come from? It must come from the UK budget!
in a way yes but the outgoings of Scotland are taken into consideration with the calculations and this is why i have said that its a give and take on the figures. in these calculations are such things like oil revenue, tax, NI, etc.etc. as far as i know Scotland get 50bil a year to look after their affairs from Westminster. if Scotland were to go independent you would not notice much if any difference apart from the oil revenue that Westminster signed a deal on under Thatcher which would be null and void and the revenue and rights would transfer to Scotland which over the 25years would pay our share in the deficit at which point the oil will more than likely run out. its not like Scotland is suddenly going to become loaded if we do leave in fact we might be a little worse off now and again. one problem that might arise is Scotland dropping the rate on personal tax for high earners to encourage businesses to move from south of the border but i doubt this very much.

what Scotland will gain if the EU will have us is a legal tender (Scotland at the moment have none and yes that includes the BOE£) in the form of the Euro. look at on the plus side the border will become a duty free zone for EU goods for England