SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-11-11, 12:52 PM   #1
Bandanaman

Default Newbie buying advice please.

Hi people,

I'm new to the forum and to biking (sooo happy to have finally passed) and was looking for some SV650 advice from your kind selves.

I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand SV650s, but am limited to a budget of around £1500. As a result (and from looking at ad pages) I can see that I'll likely end up getting a 10ish year old bike with a fair bit of mileage to it. Although I have done a lot of research into these bikes and have seen that they can easily rack up 100k if looked after, should I be concerned about getting a bike of this sort of age due to wear and tear, is it likely that I'm going to constantly be replacing parts, or will this all come down to how well the bike has been looked after also?

My final question is that I have seen an ad for an SV650s 1999 T Reg , 50,896 miles, Metallic Blue, MOT-07-2012 PSH and just been serviced (dealer sell) for £1300. I am very tempted by this as it it well within my budget and sounds relatively well looked after (though I would of course check this out first hand). Is this a bike I should consider, or is a bike this old with 50k mileage a bad idea and more trouble than it's worth, especially as I'd be buying it at the start of winter? My final question would be, would I have much luck trying to sell it in a few years time?

Thank you in advance for any help and apologies for all of the questions, unfortunately just searching forums and the net have only been able to get my knowledge so far
Old 30-11-11, 12:56 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Please help a newbie biker!

£1500 should get you a lower mileage bike than you're looking at

50k should be ok, but depends on how well its been looked after & how its been ridden.

Example A is Taipans SV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-SUZUK...#ht_861wt_1344

Last edited by maviczap; 30-11-11 at 12:58 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-11, 12:59 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Lots & lots around or under your budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle...p3286.c0.m1538
Old 30-11-11, 01:00 PM   #4
Dean-J

Keep on looking mate, you dont need to buy one with high mileage for your budget. Although i wouldnt discount one on mileage alone, the overall condition of the bike says more to me than the mileage. If its in good condition, and engine is sweet, i wouldnt worry too much about the numbers!

But for £1500 you can afford to be picky, i picked my bike up for £1250 in fantastic condition, history, and all the right extras . Mileage of 19,500.

For £1500 you could well find an early pointy model with reasonable mileage.

Just keep looking and dont be in a rush to buy the first bike you see. Always walk away to think things over, dont let the lust of a new bike sway your judgement!
Old 30-11-11, 01:00 PM   #5
Dean-J

Keep on looking mate, you dont need to buy one with high mileage for your budget. Although i wouldnt discount one on mileage alone, the overall condition of the bike says more to me than the mileage. If its in good condition, and engine is sweet, i wouldnt worry too much about the numbers!

But for £1500 you can afford to be picky, i picked my bike up for £1250 in fantastic condition, history, and all the right extras . Mileage of 19,500.

For £1500 you could well find an early pointy model with reasonable mileage.

Just keep looking and dont be in a rush to buy the first bike you see. Always walk away to think things over, dont let the lust of a new bike sway your judgement!
Old 30-11-11, 01:05 PM   #6
husky03
Mega Poster

sent you a link mate-7100 miles , on your price , pointy.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-11, 01:09 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
sent you a link mate-7100 miles , on your price , pointy.
Bargain, apart from it being a pointy
Old 30-11-11, 01:10 PM   #8
husky03
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Bargain, apart from it being a pointy
wait till he/she see's the colour!!!
Old 30-11-11, 01:17 PM   #9
Bandanaman

Thank you all for your quick and very useful replies. You've definitely highlighted that the bike I have been looking at is expensive compared to what else is out there.

Also, cheers for the link to the bike on Ebay husky03, looks very nice. I'm definitely digging the Rizla Suzuki colours and maviczap, got to say, I prefer the pointy styling Will have a serious think about this one, but with it being up in Scotland (I'm in the Midlands) and it being at the top end of my budget I may have to pass. Still though, very nice find
Old 30-11-11, 01:28 PM   #10
husky03
Mega Poster

mate that bikes a bargain at those miles and age-it'll cost you about 50 quid to get up here and then ride it back-bid your price and if you go and see it and its not as described walkaway-theres plenty of orgers on the east of the country who could meet up with you and i'm sure would be happy to assist-i travelled all over the uk to get cars and bikes or you can get it delivered for under a ton by courier.