SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-07, 10:52 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default I got nailed (tyre)

Greeted with a flat tyre this am

This is evidently why

That is a 'biggy'!!!

As you can see, tyre had loads of life left too

I think it is a nail ... might be a bit of random copper ...

I just pumped it up again for now and rode on it anyway ... jobs a gooden!!

Tempted just to leave it in there and just pump the tyre up every now and then!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 03-07-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:08 AM   #2
Tempest

Default Re: I got nailed (tyre)

May cause an issue. I will get it fixed myself. It's a bit close to the edge but better to get it fixed then ride with a nail in.
Old 03-07-07, 05:58 PM   #3
MeridiaNx

Happened to me too last week...went out to the bike, got 20 yards down the street and began to wonder why I was weaving everywhere. Nail right in the middle of my 1.5k old Pilot Road 2. Doh! That was another £120 down the drain then, annoying as hell.

I too pumped it up to get to a tyre place though, seemed to hold fine for the 20 miles I had to go.
Old 03-07-07, 06:32 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
Happened to me too last week...went out to the bike, got 20 yards down the street and began to wonder why I was weaving everywhere. Nail right in the middle of my 1.5k old Pilot Road 2. Doh! That was another £120 down the drain then, annoying as hell.

I too pumped it up to get to a tyre place though, seemed to hold fine for the 20 miles I had to go.

Did you consider getting it plugged??
Old 03-07-07, 06:38 PM   #5
MeridiaNx

Yeah I did, and that was the first thing I asked about, the 'proper' mushroom plug thing. Spoke to a couple of different places though, and they all said that it was illegal on a ZR rated tyre and therefore they wouldn't/couldn't do it.

Was I spun a yarn? Hope not because both places were big franchised dealerships so I'll be writing to complain if they were pulling a fast one.
Old 04-07-07, 06:20 AM   #6
Tempest

I have ZR's plugged all the time. Like I said it may be a bit close to the edge but I'm sure you could find a place to do it. Try a smaller place.

T
Old 04-07-07, 07:57 AM   #7
Baph

Perfect start to my day today...

As I'm coming up the hill to where I park the bike by work, I rolled over something in the road I hadn't registered on, bike wiggled a little and I hear a muffled "pop." Immediate thoughts "Oh s**t."

Pulled the bike over where I park, got off "hiisssssss." For ****'s sake!!

Another couple of weeks old tyre flat as a pancake!

Luckily about a month ago, I had the same thing happen to a Z6 rear tyre that was only 2 weeks old. I'm hoping it's been returned from Metzler all nice & repaired (the tyre place sent it for repairs FOC). If it has, it'll only cost me £20 or so to get it sorted this time round.
Old 04-07-07, 05:36 PM   #8
andyaikido

I got one plugged recently, luckily right in the centre of the tread. I don't think any tyre manufacturers recommend plugging punctures but if it's near the centre of the tread I don't see a problem.
Old 04-07-07, 05:54 PM   #9
sinbad

Why is it more dangerous towards the edge?
Old 04-07-07, 06:13 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
Why is it more dangerous towards the edge?
I think it is the tyre wall that is the problem ... also if it is too near an edge of the treaded area, if the nail etc was bent or rocks over when weight put on it, it might have damaged the inside of the sidewall. I assume that is the reason!?!?

My idea of how to fix it I put down in a post, but it was deleted off here by the powers that be as it was considered dangerous

Needless to say I have concocted my own way to rectify the problem myself which I am gonna give a try ... I evidently just can't tell you about it coz it is not an 'accepted' method!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 04-07-07 at 06:24 PM.