SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-16, 05:23 PM   #21
Toooldtodie

Default Re: Proof that the US truly is a different world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Apparently more Americans were shot by toddlers that had got hold of their guns than by terrorists last year.

Begs the question that perhaps Donald Trump should be calling for all toddler's to be locked up until their third birthday...
Is that why we have stair gates and play pens?!
Old 04-03-16, 06:20 PM   #22
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Apparently more Americans were shot by toddlers that had got hold of their guns than by terrorists last year.

Begs the question that perhaps Donald Trump should be calling for all toddler's to be locked up until their third birthday...
If i was a US tax payer, i'd be questioning my senator as to why the state was spending so many millions on combating overseas terrorism, when the biggest problem was home grown shooters.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 07:13 PM   #23
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If i was a US tax payer, i'd be questioning my senator as to why the state was spending so many millions on combating overseas terrorism, when the biggest problem was home grown shooters.
This.

On business trips to Texas it was a tradition for the EMEA "away team" to start the nightly ribbing in the bar. Two topics were routinely used: 1 - we should not have gone into Iraq (we're talking a few years ago), and 2 - guns should only be in the hands of law enforcement or armed services. We got quite a reputation for it and the rabidly Republican elements of the native team never cottoned on and launched into a rant right on queue every time. The other punters in the bar either realised what was going on and giggled into their semi-frozen, weak, acidic **** water or joined in the ranting.

I know we should not have done it so often but it was so easy and so funny. Lucky for us the hotel had a no carry policy (BIG sign by the entrance) so it never got silly.
Old 04-03-16, 10:58 PM   #24
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It's a pity it was a duff link but I had to laugh at how their bulletin board automatically converted "Glock 43" into an Amazon link. I had to click it just to see. That and "blah blah blah last sound you ever hear". To be honest it took a while to figure out what they were all carrying. An ounce? 2 pints in a cardboard box? Maybe an Americanism for a carrier bag? WTF is open carry? Is that like the "elephant" party trick where you turn your pockets inside out?

How do people in The U S Of Goddam A Best Country In The Goddam World need more guns that the Aussies who have roughly 100% of their flora and fauna that are predatorial?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 12:40 AM   #25
Dipper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sath182 View Post
Congratulations.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=221374
I'll make sure to lose a lot of sleep over what they think about our gun rights.
Eyup! Our insignificant little thread has been noticed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjscott View Post
My exit plan to leave California after 11 years and return to Northumberland is under way as we speak.
You've done well, 2 years and was glad to be out, strange folk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Few Americans have the balls to stand up against the NRA or the intelligence to figure this one out, humour aside most haven't a clue one of the biggest dangers they face in day to day life comes from their lax gun laws.

Last edited by Dipper; 05-03-16 at 12:51 AM.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 06:29 AM   #26
Luthais

As an American I have to agree with all of you.

It saddens me that my homeland has become a rolling armory filled with paranoid, racist, homophobe inbred hicks that need no reason to shoot their neighbors other than they look suspect.

When I purchased my SV in October I brought my friend along for help loading and unloading the truck. He was armed, the seller was armed. No one had faith that their fellow man wouldn't try and kill them over a $2500 motorcycle.

It's sickening that American society has let fear mongering news channels, and gun lobbies foster a culture that allows elementary students to be murdered and does nothing to change the law to prevent a repeat.

Sorry for the rant, but without wanting to argue for the rest of my life this is the only safe place to say "gun are bad"

I shall now return to the shadows to lurk, carry on
Old 05-03-16, 07:51 AM   #27
Specialone

I hold my hands up, I'm a gun fan, I see them as a cool tool to own, like a really good cordless drill or fancy laser measuring device, they are no more dangerous when used properly than a potato.

The ratio of people that shoot other people compared to law abiding responsible gun users is very very small, but obviously one death is too many.

The hungerford massacre and dumblane shootings were the main incidents that killed off guns in this country, Dumblane especially, the government took a massive knee jerk reaction and banned all firearms (except small calibre and shotguns), for the legal law abiding owners this meant huge financial loss, hand your guns in to be destroyed and you get no compensation, nothing.
Instead of working with the industry and maybe making gun owners leave their guns at the secure shouting range where they could be used safely, no, a complete ban, this is the bit that annoys me and millions of others, banning something that gets headlines and suits the authorities, not what saves lives.
Alcohol and obesity kills way more people than guns ever could, but they'd never ban alcohol and fatty foods because it wouldn't be popular with the masses and lose too much tax revenue.
I'm my city of Birmingham, gun crime is worse now and is on the increase, guns have been banned for years, legislation only targets the law abiding, criminals carry on as before.

Going back to America, biggest problem is storage and of course culture, things do have to change, but in small steps so people want to change, I'd start with education, getting people storing guns at home securely, solve this issue, gun incidents at home will plummet.

Some shooting I did in Vegas last year...

Watch this video on Vimeo:
Old 05-03-16, 08:08 AM   #28
Luthais

As the president likes to bang on about "common sense gun laws" I like the idea better background checks and more restrictive carry laws.

Certain guns have their place, ie shotguns, sporting rifles and the like. Large caliber hand guns and assault rifles do not belong in civilian hands.
Old 05-03-16, 09:10 AM   #29
Red Herring
Mega Poster

As Specialone says our gun laws are almost as ridiculous as the ones in the USA, both governments know what is "right" but are more interested in the political argument than doing what is best for their population.

I own a firearm and I do so for sporting purposes. I don't need it to kill my food, nor to protect myself, but I enjoy the environment in which I do use it and that is my right.

Instead of looking at the weapon consider the need of the individual behind it. Why does someone feel the need to carry a weapon when they pop down to the supermarket, take the kids to school, go to buy a motorcycle? They are either very paranoid or very sad individuals. Deal with those wants or needs and you solve the firearm issue.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 10:14 AM   #30
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Proof that the US truly is a different world

Unlike me to comment of this sort of thread, other than to describe how I conceal my Wombat.
There is benefit to the UKs ridiculous gun laws. By and large guns are controlled, either through legal and responsible ownership or by criminals. The current benefits of the laws may not have been foreseen,but there is reason why terrorist activity in the US appears to be around gun carrying marauding attack, but in the UK the threat is seen to be different.
Even illegal arms have a degree of control being held, by and large, by armorers who want nothing to do with really nasty and evil people.

Complete uncontrolled freedom of ownership has its down side when it comes to stopping truly nasty people owning them.

Last edited by Red ones; 05-03-16 at 10:16 AM.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote