SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-19, 04:11 PM   #1
GSX1400

Default 97 Ron Fuel...?

Does anyone use the BP Ultimate fuel?

I run my GSX1400 on it all the time. Never had an issue. I just thought it might be a good idea to run the SV on it too. Good or bad idea?

Many thanks.
GSX1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 04:38 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: 97 Ron Fuel...?

This is an explosive subject on some of the classic car sites (pun intended). Turns out that a higher RON only indicates that the fuel has additives to stop it igniting so easily so that it can take more compression without igniting spontaneously.
The actual energy available in the fuel is no different! OK some fuels have more or less ethanol, stabilisers or cleaning additives but dont buy 97 thinking it contains more umffff.
Now if you have a high compression engine or one that wasnt designed for lower RON you will see more power output with 97 as it wont suffer pre-ignition and the mixture will burn correctly so not wasting the energy that it did with lower octane fuel.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 05:10 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

As per glang's post, the SV is designed to run on anything above 91 RON fuel in Europe (which is the equivalent of 87 octane in the US, as they measure octane differently). So bog-standard 95 RON pump fuel is already 4 points above Suzuki's minimum spec for fuel.

However, higher-octane fuels like Ultimate, V-Power and Esso Supreme+ are supposed to have better detergent / cleaning additives than standard fuels, which could be useful on older bikes. Another point to bear in mind is that 97+ fuels are supposed to have lower ethanol content (5% or less), whereas standard 95 RON can be up to 10% ethanol. This is less of a problem with pointy SVs as their injection systems are designed for it, but the less ethanol the better for carbed curvies.

In conclusion, super unleaded won't do any harm. Whether it does any more for performance or engine cleanliness is debatable.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 05:31 PM   #4
glang

although I havent seen anything to confirm it I do wonder if a higher RON fuel with its different combustion characteristics might actually be detrimental to the performance of an engine not designed for it. I know that adding ethanol increases RON and the fuel companies actually have to lower the octane of the base petrol to end up with the correct value overall so its obviously important for them to get it right....
Old 20-04-19, 05:33 PM   #5
Othen

Default 97 Ron Fuel...?

Speaking as a BP shareholder, I think it is a very good idea for everyone to use BP Ultimate fuel (except me of course).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 21-04-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 20-04-19, 08:22 PM   #6
GSX1400

I have run a 02 GSX14 on it for years now. Bike runs sweet as a sweet thing. Never had any issues. And, as I do not ride through the winter (those days are long gone) when I fill up in October. The stuff stays fresh until yesterday when I filled up.

Nice bike the SV. Totally different riding a V twin. From an in line four. Certainty easier to move about. Plus got the missus well versed to helping with the paddock stand
GSX1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 11:13 PM   #7
zsv650s

It's good for the shareholders at least makes bugger all difference that I can tell.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-19, 05:11 AM   #8
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
It's good for the shareholders at least makes bugger all difference that I can tell.

I think you are dead right zsv650s, if the engine isn’t designed for it then using the more expensive fuel is a waste of money. I use regular grade supermarket fuel in all my bikes, they all run perfectly well on it and after the winter lay off the petrol is perfectly good.

I use supermarket regular diesel in my daily driver car (because that is what it is designed to run) and have never had a problem. I do fill up my Porsche Boxster with high grade (usually from Tesco as its Momentum is always a bit cheaper than BP), because that is what the motor is designed to run on, and again I have had no problems.

Whilst I am a BP shareholder, my loyalty to the company does not extend as far as wasting my own money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-04-19, 03:53 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.ashonbikes.com/knock_sensor

My car benefits from 97 or 99 because it has a knock sensor linked to ECU that can detect the sound / vibration of pre-ignition and back off the ignition timing until the sound disappears. Now injection SV's have an ECU but whether they have a knock sensor I do not know. I have tried higher octane on carbed bikes and it made them run a bit worse because higher octane has lower energy content, but if the system can detect knocking and alter the timing it will run better because it will always run the ignition timing at the most advanced position it can achieve, if it detects knocking it will back off the timing - basically it allows the engine to achieve the best power it can from a range of octane ratings. Advancing the spark allows the charge to burn more fully, so although higher octane has less of the explosive stuff in it the result is more power.... simples.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-04-19 at 04:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-19, 04:19 PM   #10
glang

hmmm I think if that was the case the car manufacturers would have to give varying engine power outputs and speed figures for different octane fuels and Ive never seen that.....