SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-18, 10:12 PM   #1
Morty1884

Default Battery Drain

So other day while out ride my bike cut out and turn out to be battery dead. I charged it up and it’s holding charge about 13v engine off and 13.7 and rising engine on tick over, but as soon I put headlights on the battery drops straight down to 12.4v and doesn’t rise with revs. Am I looking at short somewhere or charging problem on the R/R or stator.

Also when I start the bike and let it tick over the R/R gets very hot.
Old 22-07-18, 10:32 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Battery Drain

It'd be helpful if you tell us what bike you have

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-18, 02:59 PM   #3
Morty1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
It'd be helpful if you tell us what bike you have
Sorry forgot to add that sv650 2001
Old 23-07-18, 08:33 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

You are going to have to do some diagnostics.It could just be a faulty battery but you can't trust that assumption.If you have a WSM look to see how to test your Stator and R/R before thinking of renewing the Battery.

If you don't have a Manual it's worth buying one but there's loads of sites on the Internet with general help Stator Checking.

Basically with the engine running and on my 1999 Curvy with a 300w Stator I see 70 volts AC(70Vac) across the pairs of yellow wires @5,000 rpm.

On other versions I'm led to believe you should see 60 Volts AC(60Vac).

You test across 1-2 then 2-3 then 1-3 of the Large Yellow Stator wires but remember there's a lot of electrical power there so be careful.

With my engine running depending on it lights are on or off and revs I see between 14v and 14.5v DC across the battery.

You can buy a Haynes from Halfords or,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/SV-Suzuki-M...75/bn_38443235

PS
It's a shame that so many car,"Auto Stores" have closed as most used to carry a battery,"Load Tester" to check for a dead/damaged battery.

My Oxford 601 charger has a Dead-Battery indicator but I don't have a dead battery to check if this function works.

You can get them around same price from Halfords.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-07-18 at 08:51 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-18, 09:12 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Sounds very likely the R/R died. Mine went last year (2001 SVS). If the R/R is getting very hot that's almost a definite, they should normally just be warm rather than really hot.
A couple more checks will make sure, see the flow chart at https://www.electrosport.com/media/p...ng-diagram.pdf

I replaced mine with a MOSFET type (secondhand from fleabay, various suitable versions, FH010, FH012 etc), voltage is much more stable and they don't get as warm due to the lower volt drop across the semiconductors. You do need to adapt the wiring, but basically just some suitable gauge wire and crimp terminals. It's nice to use the proper connector blocks but I did it simply with insulated crimp terminals and heatshrink.
Old 23-07-18, 09:15 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I recently replaced the 20 year old R/R on my Curvy with a Mosfet one as it the Regulator side went high and took out my Rev counter and damaged the battery.With a bit of Electronic Trickery I've managed to repair the Tachometer for now

Here's the chronicle of the R/R job,

http://puttingoutfires.x10host.com/M...sfetUniRR.html

Old style R/Rs can get very very hot and even more so as they age.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-07-18 at 09:21 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote