SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-16, 04:40 PM   #21
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front end problem after crash & repair

could also be the angle of the camera but i cant see any piston side brake pads.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 05:45 PM   #22
aesmith

Better to take the callipers off until the wheel's properly installed.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 08:17 PM   #23
MatteX

Sid Squid/Bibio

Thanks a lot for all the comments.

I am going to make sure the spindle sits flush with the outside, check if anything is missing. Possibly break out every screw and let the whole front realing and see if it helps.

To recap, the below are the issues that I am experiencing when riding:

- steering bar/top yoke is off to the right when bike goes straight

- bike wants to go/lean to the left when I let it just roll

- right caliper holding the disc enough to make the bike slightly choke when in 1st and no throttle.

My guess is (as Bibio mentioned) the bottom yoke needs replaced.

Is it possible that the spindle needs to be also replaced?

Thanks again for any constructive feedback.

I will keep this thread updated for the next generations!

Last edited by MatteX; 18-07-16 at 08:19 PM.
MatteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 09:40 PM   #24
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Take the forks off again, check forks are straight. If they are remove the top yoke and put the forks into the bottom yoke at approximately the right height - doesn't need to be exact - nip the lower yoke clamps up so the forks are held in place, no need to lean on it. Will the top yoke go back on easily? If yes and it just slips on the bottom yoke is fine, if not, what's the discrepancy? If it's a mm or two the yoke is probably no worse than a standard one, loosen the lower yoke clamps and it'll go back together OK.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 01:28 PM   #25
MatteX

OK, had a chance to do as Sid mentioned above.

The forks visually look perfectly straight.

I have removed the top yoke and loosened every screw, bottom yoke, wheel spindle, even the front fender screws. (BTW, it was the first time I actually took the top yoke off since after the crash)

The top yoke doesn't go on very easily but its not a disaster. It is not perfect but it is doable to put it all back together - I am not sure how little room for any discrepancy there is though) Whenever one of the forks is in the yoke the other one is off by 2-3mm to the outside and needs some persuading but again, not much.

Tried to do best job tightening all the screws back together and noticed that the wheel spindle has got to go around 3mm inside the fork leg in order for the spacers to hold the wheel on each side - as if one of the forks was also out (just like at the other end where it goes in the top yoke). If the spindle is left flush with the outside then there is some play between the "spacers" and the wheel.

Also, when screwing the spindle in, the fork leg without the thread continuously travels/gets closer or farther from the wheel with every rotation of the spindle.

I hope that the above makes sense.

I am only starting to learn my bike - while it is very annoying that my bike is not 100% yet I really enjoy taking it apart and getting dirty lol but it is about time to get it sorted out.

Is it possible that I need to replace the bottom yoke c/w bearings, wheel spindle and possibly wheel bearings?

I really much appreciate all of your help guys.

Last edited by MatteX; 19-07-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 19-07-16, 01:47 PM   #26
ophic
Mega Poster

Had similar problem after a low speed drop and after similar advice from our Mr Squid, I found that one of the forks was slightly bent. Whether this was due to the drop or not, I never found out. However it was OK when I removed the forks and therefore should have been fine when I put them back on.

It was "fixed" by rotating the fork leg slightly until everything lined up. It has been absolutely fine ever since.
Old 19-07-16, 03:30 PM   #27
Bibio
Mega Poster

if the yoke does not slide on without mucking about then something is bent, no amount of jiggling will make it not bent.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 09:33 AM   #28
MatteX

It looks like I am going to have to replace the bottom yoke and the wheel spindle - I will get round to this next week probably.

What I am looking to do by this weekend is to rebuild the front right calliper. One of the cylinders is seized, cleaned it up but it is still binding. Already bought the below kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...wAAOSwAYtWM2aF

I also got red rubber grease and autosol metal polish.

Can I get some tips before I get round to it?

What brake fluid should I get, ideally?

What type of grease do I put in the gaiter/boot?

Any tips as to what makeshift accessories could be handy when bleeding the system or make the whole operation easier?

Also, can you look at the attached pics and advise if the pads or disc could use replacing? When replacing pads do I have to replace pads on both callipers?

I know that to some the above questions might be too easy to bother answering but I would appreciate a constructive feedback/advise.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0881.JPG (111.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0882.JPG (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883.JPG (104.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0884.JPG (97.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0887.jpg (52.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by MatteX; 20-07-16 at 09:37 AM.