SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-11-04, 01:29 PM   #1
wolverine04uk

Default Tinted visor in the dark?

I'd like some opinions on this. Got a Takai Terror helmet from Gericke about 3 months ago. Didn't realise until someone else posted on here but the visor is tinted and not stamped with the british safety thing. It wasn't pointed out to me at the time, and to be honest I didn't check. Also there's this shaped screw thing that holds the visor down that's fallen off. All in all not too chuffed with it, esp. when I had to go across the Snake Pass the other evening when it was raining.

Anyway, do you think I could still take it back to Gericke and get my money back or demand a clear visor, Im having a devil of a job trying to find one on my own.
Old 24-11-04, 01:31 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Demand a clear visor... you're breaking the law, and stupidly so! Riding in the dark with a tinted visor, no matter how little, is not a good idea.
Old 24-11-04, 01:36 PM   #3
Carsick

I can't help thinking that they shouldn't have sold you a helmet without an approved visor.
Either way, if it's started falling apart, take it back.
Old 24-11-04, 01:37 PM   #4
wolverine04uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Demand a clear visor... you're breaking the law, and stupidly so! Riding in the dark with a tinted visor, no matter how little, is not a good idea.
I realise, thats why I had to ride with the visor up. Were Gericke breaking the law by selling this lid in the first place d'you think?
Old 24-11-04, 01:38 PM   #5
splke

sounds like it is not fit for the job it was sold to do so they "should refund you"
Old 24-11-04, 01:41 PM   #6
Jabba

Does the visor have an "E" mark?
Old 24-11-04, 01:45 PM   #7
Carsick

I think they might have been breaking the law, but I think somebody in trading standards or similar would know better.
My logic is this, the helmet must be approved to be sold as safety equipment; the visor is part of the helmet.
So, we can argue that since you were in a motorcycle accessories shop, the helmet was sold as safety equipment and therefore was not fit for the purpose.
Unless of course it had one of those HG tags on it that say it's not suitable as personal protective equipment. I've got into arguments with the staff in shops over that tag a few times now.
Old 24-11-04, 01:56 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

My mate was topped once for wearing a dark visor at night. The copper, obviously had a sense of humour, casue he let him off when he lifted the visor to find him wearing sunglasses(Which hed put on whilst the copper was walking around the bike!!

We laughed, the copper laughed.

annnnnyway, Take the lid back to Gerickes, state your calim and see what they say. No need to start rubbishing anyone.anything before they have a chance to defend/rectify the situation.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-04, 01:58 PM   #9
wolverine04uk

The only thing it says on the visor is daytime use only. As I said, I hadn't thought to even look at it till a few weeks ago. Should've checked it before I bought it really, but being such a large chain just assumed that it was "fit for purpose".
Old 24-11-04, 01:59 PM   #10
wolverine04uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
annnnnyway, Take the lid back to Gerickes, state your calim and see what they say. No need to start rubbishing anyone.anything before they have a chance to defend/rectify the situation.
Not rubbishing them, just wanted an opinion on what I could do.