SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: DB Screen or Sports Touring Screen? Opinions plz
DB Screen... cooler than a penguins pecker 10 50.00%
ST screen... a bit large but you'll need all the protection you can get on that... 8 40.00%
keithD 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-09, 12:04 AM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default DB Screen... or Sport Touring Screen? opinions plz :)

DB Screen will do a better job with the wind blast than standard screen, and will look cool, but a sports tourer screen will do an even bettererer job, but it kind of looks like I've stuck a giant shoe horn where the screen should be...

The extra wind blast protection appeals but the subtleness of the db screen also appeals...

opinions plz

sports touring screen... look at the height of it!

regular DB screen... (yes I know it's a curvy but it illustrates the screen )

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..

Last edited by Paul the 6th; 07-04-09 at 12:08 AM.
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 12:07 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: DB Screen... or Sport Touring Screen? opinions plz :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
DB Screen will do a better job with the wind blast
Not for me it didn't. I found that my head got buffeted around a lot more with the DB. I prefer the standard shaped screen
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 01:07 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Much depends on what you'll be using the bike for, the DB is better if you want to tuck in/ head on tank and get the most out of the bike/ trackdays for instance, where as the touring will make motorway miles less tiring .

Choose you main use and that will make the screen choice simple.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 06:08 AM   #4
Tim in Belgium

I liked my DB on my curvy, made a great difference, although I think it depends on the bike/rifer aerodynamic interface, some people seem to suffer buffering with different screensat different speeds.

Having never ridden a pointy with either I've no idea which is best for your needs but the DB looks way better than the touting screen that could have been stolen from a Hond@ Pan European!
Old 07-04-09, 07:46 AM   #5
Amplimator

if you want some windblast protection (understandable on a thou)get an MRA! its not quite as high as the sports touring screen in your pic, has no lip at the top and has a 'squarer' bubble so it suits the pointys lines a bit better.
heres mine, i found it was best of both worlds

it made a helluva difference, mainly coz im not a 'croucher' when i ride and made longer hauls a pleasure

Amp

EDIT; i didnt vote as my option aint on there

Last edited by Amplimator; 07-04-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-04-09, 08:22 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
if you want some windblast protection (understandable on a thou)get an MRA! its not quite as high as the sports touring screen in your pic, has no lip at the top and has a 'squarer' bubble so it suits the pointys lines a bit better.
heres mine, i found it was best of both worlds

it made a helluva difference, mainly coz im not a 'croucher' when i ride and made longer hauls a pleasure

Amp

EDIT; i didnt vote as my option aint on there
+1. MRA cost a bit more and don't look as aesthetically pleasing as some, but they are the best fitting and nicest finished screens I've seen and unlike a lot of manufacturers' screens you get the impression they're designed with aerodynamics as the primary consideration.

DB screens look great, but I find that whilst they offer more wind protection over stock, they don't come close to a touring screen in terms of protection. I've used MRA's Vario flip up screen and their Double Bubble one (same as Amplimator's). Their DB screen is sort of halfway between a touring screen and a normal DB, both in looks and terms of effectiveness. For reference, I'm 6'2" and usually ride with a tank bag, so a "racers crouch" isn't really an option most of the time.

So, the way I see it, you have 3 choices, ranging from prettiest to most effective:
Zero G/Airblade/whoever DB screen,
MRA DB screen,
Dedicated touring screen.

NB: As is always the case with screens "your mileage may vary" as your height, shape and prefered riding stances makes a huge difference to how effective they are.
Old 07-04-09, 09:27 AM   #7
peterco

Have seen this screen,has a wind deflecter but is not as large as the touring screen.

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:06 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

like I said in the massive, your very tall, so perhaps a DB isn't tall enough to stop your little head being battered about in the breeze. Sport tourer.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:12 AM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I voted ST screen, I have a solid black powerbronze db screen and whilst it looks the dog's danglies, it isn't a mahoosive improvement over stock for wind deflection.

Might even consider selling mine and getting an MRA screen if they do them in black....off to google I go...

Last edited by Nobbylad; 07-04-09 at 10:15 AM.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:17 AM   #10
theshed

personally i like the look of the sports tourer where are these from have you got a link for them?