SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-07, 10:10 PM   #1
tomjones2

Default Balancing Carbs/Throttle bodies

I was looking into learing how to balance the throttle boides on my sv k3 and my z750. As far as I can tell it involve connecting somethings like this

http://www.carbtune.com/

up to the relevant pipe work and twidling some screws, with a special screwdriver?

Am I on the right track of is this a complicated job? From reading other posts it appears that it should be done around idle or just above idle.
Old 01-07-07, 10:19 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Balancing Carbs/Throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
Am I on the right track of is this a complicated job? From reading other posts it appears that it should be done around idle or just above idle.
Yep, that is for balancing carbs/bodies.

It is a fiddly job ... be prepared to spend ages adjusting and then adjusting back ... its safe to say you will never get it 'perfect' but as long as they are more the same than when you started then it is an improvement!!

Remember it is not the actual pressure reading that is important, it is the fact that they are roughly the same ....

Also make sure you 'blip' the throttle every now and then and re-check the setting. Also don't let the bike overheat and you need to do it when the bike is up to temp ...
Old 02-07-07, 10:03 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Yep, that is for balancing carbs/bodies.

It is a fiddly job ... be prepared to spend ages adjusting and then adjusting back ... its safe to say you will never get it 'perfect' but as long as they are more the same than when you started then it is an improvement!!
Fiddly job? On a pointy? You're having a laugh right?

About the worst part of it is getting the rubber caps back on the vacuum nipples, and if you have long nosed circlip plyers to hand, that's pish too.

10min job tops when you've done it a couple of times.
Old 02-07-07, 12:11 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Fiddly job? On a pointy? You're having a laugh right?

About the worst part of it is getting the rubber caps back on the vacuum nipples, and if you have long nosed circlip plyers to hand, that's pish too.

10min job tops when you've done it a couple of times.
Thats true, it might be less of a faff on an injected bike ... but it is a right faff to get all cylinders the same on a carb'd bike, and whenever I have done it, it seems to always be a comprimise, you can't get them 100%!!
Old 02-07-07, 01:29 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Thats true, it might be less of a faff on an injected bike ... but it is a right faff to get all cylinders the same on a carb'd bike, and whenever I have done it, it seems to always be a comprimise, you can't get them 100%!!
On the pointy, reach in between the frame near the idle adjust screw & remove the caps. Put the vacuum gauge on, adjust throttle bodies, put the caps back on using long nosed plyers (because at this point the engine is hot).

I generally already have the tank up so I don't take that as being part of the job.
Old 06-07-07, 10:05 AM   #6
tomjones2

Right I have got the gauge, I think i need to get one of those right angle screwdrivers. The Z seems to need one does the sv one need one as well or is there enough space to get a short normal screwdriver.

Also what sort of drive do the screws use?

Cheers
Old 06-07-07, 10:07 AM   #7
Baph

On the SV (throttle bodies here), lift the tank & you can get a normal phillips screwdriver to the vertical screw on the throttle body cantilever.

Carbs, no idea.

HTH.