SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-11-18, 03:12 AM   #6651
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Dentist.
Winner! Hate the barstewards lol

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 07:03 AM   #6652
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Dentist.
Had to take my daughter to the dentist yesterday and watch her have a wisdom tooth taken out. As someone who's had major jaw surgery because of teeth it was excruciating to watch.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 09:33 AM   #6653
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Had to take my daughter to the dentist yesterday and watch her have a wisdom tooth taken out. As someone who's had major jaw surgery because of teeth it was excruciating to watch.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
When I was at school the dentists had a hammer and a chisel - my teeth never recovered, dental work today is 1000 times better.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 11:31 AM   #6654
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I had all four wisdom teeth done at the same time when I was 17. Awake for it all but on serious drugs. Apparently afterwards I said I'd enjoyed it and asked if I could have it done again (for the drugs presumably). The days after were not fun though. Mashed potato and gravy every day. Could hardly talk. Visited a friend who had a swearing parrot and the hysterics and laughter it caused was very painful!!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 12:21 PM   #6655
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
did you use left hand drill bits?...

Unfortunately not. In hindsight I'm now realising why "easy outs" are a really bad idea. They grip tighter as they go in but they also put more pressure outswards on the stuck bolt that they're going in to . The opposite of what needs to happen. Effectively tightening the stuck bolts threads against the wall it's stuck to! It's inevitable that a brittle metal extractor will snap off as it and the bolt get more stuck.

A reverse drill bit is a much better idea. As is drilling a hole and welding something (like and allen key) into the hole as the heat and then conracting as it cools down pulls the stuck bolt inwards away from the walls. Doing the opposite of an extractor.

The situation now is though that I have a reinforced wedge of hard metal where there used to be soft bolt metal. Drill bits are polishing the end of it more but no chance of them cutting in to it. 5 dead crushed centre punches trying to punch a starting point for a drill bit. 2 dead (expensive) drill bits and in a worse situation than when I started.

The good news it appears that Dremel Aluminium Oxide grinding bits do grind away the hardened extractor steel. I've got 5mm into it so far in a few minutes. The only bit I have though is conical and too wide (9mm) for the full depth of the hole. So I've ordered some (Dremel part no 953) 6mm wide cones (6 of them!-- assuming I'm going to trash a few!!) and will carry on when they arrive next week.

I've got a feeling I'm going to end up needing to helicoil it after all this messing about, but as long as I can get a bolt in there securely I don't mind at this stage.
Old 24-11-18, 12:38 PM   #6656
Bibio
Mega Poster

WTF are you doing... dont try and "grind" the old broken extractor out. cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver/impact to take it out. suppose its too late now.

to get a wider slot use a few dremel cutting discs stacked up.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 01:22 PM   #6657
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
WTF are you doing... dont try and "grind" the old broken extractor out. cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver/impact to take it out. suppose its too late now.

to get a wider slot use a few dremel cutting discs stacked up.

Extractor was sheared below the surface of the surrounding hole, so cutting into it wasn't an option even with a very small dremel disc without cutting into the surrounding walls.
Old 24-11-18, 01:33 PM   #6658
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers! Hopefully it's not going to go that far!
Old 24-11-18, 01:34 PM   #6659
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Extractor was sheared below the surface of the surrounding hole, so cutting into it wasn't an option even with a very small dremel disc without cutting into the surrounding walls.
ok since you have a hole then try this. get a hammer drill with a TC tipped masonry drill and use reverse.

the extractor is cone shaped so should reverse out easily enough.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 01:05 PM   #6660
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have a sigmoidoscopy tomorrow so I am fasting and, because of that, feeling grumpy. Additionally, in 3 hours I have to start to consume 2 litres of laxative plus another litre of water; no guesses where I'll be spending my evening. This is not going to improve my mood.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote