SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-11, 05:19 PM   #1
skithepowder

Default Changing headlight bulbs K3 SV650S, how?

Got hold of some Phillips Extreme Power 100% to swap for my standard bulbs on my K3 SV650S. Will be the first time I've changed bulbs on a bike, I've got a Haynes manual, but it isn't very clear what to do on the faired S. It has detailed pictures for the unfaired models with the very easy to access bulbs, but not really much info/pictures for how to access the bulbs on the faired S model.

What parts of the fairing should I remove to get access to them? There is the small black triangles on the black plastic part of the fairing next to the handlebars on each side, which are held in with one screw, but having taken one of these off, it looks like it would be a bit of a nightmare to get your hand inside, fiddle about and see what you are doing...

What is the easiest way to do this? Should I remove the black plastic air intake panel underneath the nose cone, I did this when I did my indicators and it made it much easier to get to them, but I don't remember whether it helped with headlight access. I'm sure there must be an easy way to do it without removing shedloads of fairing?
Old 03-03-11, 07:31 PM   #2
monkey

Default Re: Changing headlight bulbs K3 SV650S

You shouldn't need to remove anything. If you look in past the forks you should see the plugs on the bulb pins. Carefully pull them off. Theres a big round diaphragm about the diamater of an orange. You should be able to pull that off and be presented with the clip holding the bulb in. Figure that out and the bulb will be released. When fitting the new bulbs DO NOT touch the glass with your fingers.

I imagine that its a very similar setup to the curvy but you haven't got to remove anything.

I'd take some pics for you but I haven't got an SV any more.

If you look at the second picture HERE you can see the rubber diaphragm and pins from the bulbs.
Old 03-03-11, 07:35 PM   #3
skithepowder

Cheers dude, I actually worked out how to do it. I ended up just reaching down over the forks. I took off those little triangular black plastic panels that give you easy access to the sidelights as it meant I could shine a torch in through and see how it all fits a bit better and it's only 1 screw. Couple of fisdly bits with the clip and you have to pull the connector quite hard. Didn't take long to do one, had to go out then though so I'll do the other when I get back! Cheers
Old 03-03-11, 07:40 PM   #4
monkey

Well that's 5 minutes I won't get back!

No problem. There is always someone here to help. Apart from really stupid questions. He he.
Old 03-03-11, 11:39 PM   #5
skithepowder

On a random note, as I finished fitting them I noticed that on the left hand side, the reflector part of the light that sits inside the clear lens is a little bit skew whiff. It's a couple of cm closer to the midline of the bike than the right hand side, and when I was clipping the plugs back in I noticed that the reflector on this side actually had quite a bit of vertical movement, about 1.5-2 inches maybe. I've never noticed it before today, and it doesnt seem to cause any problems when riding, I've not noticed the beams moving at all and I got someone to give the forks a good bounce and it didn't seem to move then, but I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? Is it a case of taking the fairing and headlight assembly to adjust this? I'm not even sure it's worth doing as you can only notice when you look really closely. What is it that secures the reflector into place inside the headlight housing, behind the clear lens?

Thanks!