SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-11-09, 11:36 AM   #1
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Is road policing all unmarked cars now??

Just one of those questions that comes up over a beer.

When I started driving seeing someone stopped by an unmarked police car was a real novelty. But, with the arrival of Highways Agency vehicles it appears that traffic policing has been handed over to the secret police with hidden cameras. Almost all motorway stops seem to be carried out by unmarked vehicles these days, and seeing a marked traffic police vehicle is becoming a rarity.

I'm not sure this is a healthy precedent for a democracy. What do other people think? Does the benefit of getting some of the real numpties off our roads outweigh the value of visible policing??

Any thoughts??

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 11:51 AM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Is road policing all unmarked cars now??

I would assume the convivtion rate would go up but as the primary aspect of policing is supposed to be preventing crime I fail to see any benefit of this apart from feeding the coffers
Most people slow down or at the least be more attentive when there is a police presence.
My view-----Prevention is better than cure-----but not in their eyes
Old 12-11-09, 12:12 PM   #3
Neeja

Do a run down the M62 from St. Helens to Warrington. It seems that every time I ride down there that there's someone pulled over by a Cheshire police traffic enforcement landrover. Only ever seen 1 unmarked car on the same stretch.
Old 12-11-09, 12:28 PM   #4
Kate Moss

What can traffic enforcement people actually do? There seems to be mixed views on what they are legally allowed to do etc.
Old 12-11-09, 12:36 PM   #5
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Moss View Post
What can traffic enforcement people actually do? There seems to be mixed views on what they are legally allowed to do etc.
The Highways Agency patrols can't charge drivers but if they report you, you may get points. I've read of cases of drivers refusing to obey instructions and being charged after the event, on the basis of the HA evidence.

Here's an example

So stop if they tell you to!
Old 12-11-09, 12:49 PM   #6
Caddy2000

Essex still operates a healthy amount of marked cars and bikes, yes they also operate unmarked cars and bikes as well.
I don't have any problems with this, I just wish there were more of them just to nick those who think it's their right to undertake everyone else and barge into a lane. (this happens every day on the M11, and DT, no it isn't me doing it).
I'd rather have police cars than SPECS cameras
Old 12-11-09, 01:02 PM   #7
Sosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000 View Post
I'd rather have police cars than SPECS cameras

pfff just cos you've got a registered insured vehicle.

Don't be so selfish.
Old 12-11-09, 01:07 PM   #8
Caddy2000

It's not that - SPEC's round my way are all forward facing....
Old 12-11-09, 01:31 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

There are no unliveried enforcement or traffic cars in GMP that I am aware of.

TVCU run different kinds of unliveried cars, but they are crime orientated, not motoring offence orientated.

Dicky T has it right, just the presence of a liveried traffic car tends to improve driving standards. It's still very easy to find hundreds of drivers doing things they shouldn't, even when the car is covered in yellow and blue reflective and a blue light on the roof!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 01:41 PM   #10
Stig

There are two unmarked BMW's working the stretch of M4 between Junctions 13 and 17. These are the only two vehicles that work this stretch of the road. I know this from having the rather unfortunate opportunity to have a lengthy chat with one of the drivers of said unmarked BMW cars. One is Grey the other is Black.