SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-07, 12:44 PM   #1
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Alarm fob works intermitently in certain places..

There is a bike bay near here and if i park at one end of it i cant disable my alarm without pushing the bike to the other end. Another location has the same issue too, so what is it? Earths magnetic fields interfering with my signal?

Elec-trickery baffles me when things like this happen as i know we are surrounded by unseen microwaves, radio waves etc and i wonder just how much of an effect that has on the signal from my key fob.

Fob circuit board is ok with no hairline craks on it btw, checked that already as ive had that problem before on a car.

Any ideas, anyone?????

Anyone else have this problem?????
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 12:47 PM   #2
Fizzy Fish

Default Re: Alarm fob works intermitently in certain places..

dunno about that.

but i do know that if you touch your head with one hand while pressing the fob with the other, you can activate/deactivate your alarm from further away than if you just do it normally

clever eh?
Old 11-05-07, 12:50 PM   #3
DoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Fish View Post
dunno about that.

but i do know that if you touch your head with one hand while pressing the fob with the other, you can activate/deactivate your alarm from further away than if you just do it normally

clever eh?
I thought you had to place the key/fob on your chin to get it to work from further away..... works like that for the car.
Old 11-05-07, 12:51 PM   #4
Baph

What frequency does the alarm fob kick out? (manual should tell you).

Check the batteries in the fob, when they get low it can play silly beggars (like slightly changing the frequency etc).

Think yourself lucky though, I know a car park where if you park at one side, Landrover's factory alarms refuse to work, and there's bollards preventing you pushing it in a straight line.

Generally it's a battery issue rather than radio interference, but you might be unlucky. Might also be worth getting in touch with the alarm manufacturer & finding out if they do fobs with a different frequency & asking if you can teach your alarm to listen on a different frequency. However, that might not solve the problem, or it might just move it to somewhere else.
Old 11-05-07, 12:54 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

heard lots of problems with alarms around mobile phone masts. even a case of someones not working at point blank range, wheeling it down the street - and then working properly.
Old 11-05-07, 12:57 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
heard lots of problems with alarms around mobile phone masts. even a case of someones not working at point blank range, wheeling it down the street - and then working properly.
Advise whoever you know of this happening to that they should get in touch with their local Trading Standards office.

There's pretty strict legislation regarding telecommunications equipment and the interference of other devices (mainly due to all the hype surrounding mobile phones). I've had to deal with a lot of this when spec'ing out WiMax-like systems.

Technically, you know when you leave your mobile near a speaker & you get a message, it makes a noise on the speakers? That's illegal, and the mobile phone manufacturer could be taken to court over it. However, the problem is proving who's at fault. The mobile phone manufacturer, or the speaker manufacturer for not shielding properly?
Old 11-05-07, 01:03 PM   #7
scorpion

Sounds like Radio interferance to me. Same problem at Alexandra Palace after the show. The Radio mast causes havoc with peoples alarms. I had to bend over the bike with the alarm fob in my pocket to dissarm the bike and that took ages!
Old 11-05-07, 01:03 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

it is a little disconcerting! i was amazed to find out that microwaves, mobiles and wifi use similar frequencies. It can be a bugger if they're in close proximity.
Old 11-05-07, 01:04 PM   #9
DoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Technically, you know when you leave your mobile near a speaker & you get a message, it makes a noise on the speakers? That's illegal, and the mobile phone manufacturer could be taken to court over it. However, the problem is proving who's at fault. The mobile phone manufacturer, or the speaker manufacturer for not shielding properly?
I would have to say the mobile phone is at fault, if my phone is near the car stereo it has the same effects weather the speakers are shielded or not.
Old 11-05-07, 01:04 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Sounds like Radio interferance to me. Same problem at Alexandra Palace after the show. The Radio mast causes havoc with peoples alarms. I had to bend over the bike with the alarm fob in my pocket to dissarm the bike and that took ages!
That's another good one. Radio mics used in stage performances.

Ever got one of those near a high speed data radio setup? Bleeding nightmare! Mind you, the data is unaffected, but the artists on stage get mighty p*d off when they can't use the mics