SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-05, 12:51 PM   #1
Splosh

Default Bike is Back

Hey gang,

I said that I would keep you up to date with developments with the old girl....... After many posts in here and a lot of grunting and groaning of my own fiddling with bits and bobs on the bike....
I finally gave into my inexperience of bike mechanics and rang a local garage... They picked up my bike (which I never did get to restart) and fiddleded with it last week........

It turns out that I had blocked Carbs AND contaminated fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much for the £10 that I gave a local supermarket petrol station!!! Thanks to that, it cost me £219!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, sure, they freed my front brakes too, but still......

My only gripe with the shop was that they had the gaul to say to my face that I needed a new chain and sprocket, and that I should not leave my bike standing for long as it had 'obviously' been left for a long time!!!!!

I was furious at this!!!!! They themselves put a new chain and sprocket on my beloved just 5 months ago (did they diddle me then???)..... Plus, I use my bike all the time (anyone here that knows me will verify) for work as well as play!!! They told me that my Chain was on toooo tight (even though another local garage adjusted it for me a couple of weeks ago) and to top it all off, I lube the chain every time that I use the bike!!!!

Crazy!!!!

Anyway.... At least she is back!!!!

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine tooooooooo.
Must get back to work!!!!

Splosh
xxxxxx
Old 11-04-05, 01:13 PM   #2
Amanda M

Contaminated fuel is a nightmare. I had this recently with my raptor and I ended up being recovered home it got that bad. How else can rust get into a plastic tank? Luckily the shop I bought it from didn't charge me for the work so full marks to them.

Glad you've got it sorted anyway!
Old 11-04-05, 01:19 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
Contaminated fuel is a nightmare. I had this recently with my raptor and I ended up being recovered home it got that bad. How else can rust get into a plastic tank? Luckily the shop I bought it from didn't charge me for the work so full marks to them.

Rust in a plastic tank.. umh..... is that what is was, what a nightmare !!

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-05, 01:22 PM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: Bike is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splosh
...They themselves put a new chain and sprocket on my beloved just 5 months ago (did they diddle me then???)...
Possibly. Chains can last along time if looked after. Unfortunately, if your local garage overtightened the chain this could have damaged it - regardless of whether you oil it regularly. However, I'd have thought the clain would have show signs of this if this was the case. Was the chain loose again, any tight spots?
Old 11-04-05, 01:22 PM   #5
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:

Yup. and water, and sand, and grit. Literally the very dregs of satan's fuel tank. God knows where the last owner got it from but he needs a good slap!
Old 11-04-05, 01:23 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:

Yup. and water, and sand, and grit. Literally the very dregs of satan's fuel tank. God knows where the last owner got it from but he needs a good slap!
Some people should be banned from owning bikes, thats criminal

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-05, 01:30 PM   #7
Splosh

Nah, the chain seemed fine... I adjusted it myself, and just took it up the road for them to check.. He had a look and said it was fine... He got a gauge out to meausre the play.. All fine and dandy!!!!

Crazy!!!

Rust in the plasitic tank is strange, however, I have noticed that I have a little rust forming around the tip of the breather pipe under the fuel cap.... Not sure how to tackle that one either!!!!

Splosh
xxxxxx
Old 11-04-05, 01:34 PM   #8
Amanda M

All I know is I'm going to be very careful where I get petrol from from now on!

It is possible to have got a duff chain. I got one on my GPZ500 once and it needed replacing really quickly, and that was with a scottoiler fitted.
Old 11-04-05, 02:50 PM   #9
Splosh

Me toooo Amanda.

I shall go back to using the same Petrol Station from now on.... I went on a money saving spree by just getting petrol from the cheapest wherever I was... Think I shall stop that dodgy process now!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure on the Chain issue.

Splosh
xxxxx
Old 11-04-05, 03:19 PM   #10
Steve H

Is contaminated fuel a common problem?
As if i didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders, now i have something else to worry about!