SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-18, 10:39 AM   #131
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Don't knacker that tendon! Give it a chance to heal properly, maybe a few shorter runs for a while.

We have quite a few runs starting to happen here now, some our regular runs, and some through the recently set up Powys Canicross group. Weather permitting, my running buddy and I are heading out at around 5.15am tomorrow to do the 7 mile loop to Pontrobert and back. This allows us to be back before our various kids need to be up and off to school. On Friday we're heading for Coed y brenin for a pre-race recce of the Goldrush trail. We, along with several other Powys Canicross members, are signed up for the 8.5 mile Goldrush trail race on 21st April. Sunday afternoon is a Canicross Powys social run of 5 - 7 miles in the grounds of Gregynog Hall, and then a night time run with the group on Tuesday evening.

Should keep us busy!
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 11:06 AM   #132
shiftin_gear98

That will keep you busy, there are a couple of 10k's coming up here in the next month or so, I hope to do a couple. Yeah I don't really want to push my ankle too much at the moment. I might give it a week and try a shorter one again.
Wish I could go for a run in the mornings, however starting work at 7 - 7.30 puts a spanner in that though.
I'm not getting up at 5am for a run. Not yet anyway.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 04:42 PM   #133
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Fantastic early morning run this morning. My running buddy, Kate, arrived with two of her dogs, Sooty and Dangermouse, at 5.30am. I was ready with Mabel all harnessed up, so set the Garmin and off we went. We could only just see where we were going for the first 10 minutes or so, and running through the muddy sections was entertaining! But as it started to lighten, so our view improved, and at the same time the birds woke up. We heard the dawn chorus from first tweets right through to it's glorious crescendo. Real life affirming stuff and the perfect way to start the day!

We did seven miles altogether, accompanied by the sound of the river for most of the distance, and saw not another person all the way round.

Up there in my top ten of running adventures.

Our early morning run
Old 14-04-18, 02:41 PM   #134
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well bugger! Missed my run in Coed y brenin due to a mix of domestic crisis for my co runner Kate and foul weather. Didn't fancy driving a round trip of 60 odd miles in peeing rain to run in peeing rain!

Made up for it this morning with a sunny, warm run of 6.5 miles with Mabel, and Sioned, one of my daughters. First time out in shorts and T shirt this year for me! Lovely.

Run over the allt, by the river, and through the woods.

Hope the weather holds for our group social run tomorrow.
Old 15-04-18, 10:07 AM   #135
shiftin_gear98

Shame about your run, these things do happen sometimes. I don't think I would have driven 60odd miles to run in the rain. I had planned a tentative run this morning, but it was another of my missus friends 40ths last night. Although I didn't intend to drink I seem to be the wrong side of sober this morning. Ah well another day of resting the ankle. At least I'm not still bouncing off the ceiling every time something touches it.
Old 15-04-18, 04:21 PM   #136
garynortheast
Mega Poster

It sounds like you should be resting the ankle for a week or so, with nothing more than some gentle stretching exercises. Don't make the mistake I've made in the past by running too soon and making it worse!

Powys Canicross social run this afternoon. Except that I got the times wrong and Mabel and I did it on our own as we were 45 minutes late arriving. Nice 3.5 mile loop and caught up with everyone in the cafe afterwards.
Run at Gregynog.

Need to try and get a couple of 10 mile runs in this week. I may well make another attempt to get to Coed y brenin and run the Goldrush Trail in advance of Saturday's race.
Old 16-04-18, 10:19 PM   #137
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Slightly longer run this morning with my running buddy, a route I've done several times so far but a bit further along to the next village. We're heading to Coed y brenin on Wednesday morning all being well, for our look at the trail we'll be running on Saturday.

Our 8 and a bit miler this morning.
Old 18-04-18, 08:48 AM   #138
shiftin_gear98

You are putting me to shame, the ankle is a lot better than it was. I plan to go for a short run on Friday.
Missing it quite badly.
Old 18-04-18, 02:02 PM   #139
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Glad your ankle is healing up Martin, don't be tempted to go at it to soon though, and when you do try and ease back in with a few short, slow runs on level ground first. I'd also say, stay off the tarmac and hard surface. Trails and paths are much kinder to your joints, and the movement at the ankle as a result of the uneven nature of trails strengthens ankles. When I did my ankle a couple of years back, the physiotherapist gave me a couple of exercises to do. One was trying to stand unsupported on each foot in turn with my eyes closed. The second was hopping about in random directions on each foot. Great ankle strengthening exercises.

Well, I've given up trying to get an advance run at Coed y brenin. Stuff just keeps getting in the way, so I'll go on Saturday and just do the event. It will of course mean a post race visit to the excellent cafe and visitor centre there to eat cake, drink tea, and then go to the shop there to look at all the nice cycling and running kit I can't afford!

Out for another run last night with three of the Powys Canicross folk. A bit of a social run at a gentle pace, in consideration for one of the group who was out on her second ever run. We set of at 7pm and did almost the whole distance in daylight pretty much, only needing a headtorch for the last quarter of a mile of road back into the village.

Powys Canicross social run

Got to run with my girls this evening. We usually get together with my running pal and her kids, and my two to do a loop near the village. One of my girls, Sioned, is more serious about her running than her sister, Eleri, so she'll come round on the longer version of the run. We'll meet Eleri, and Kate's crew about halfway round for the second part of the run.

This is going to be my fifth consecutive day of running. I'm going to have Thursday and Friday off of running to give myself a chance to recover ready for what looks like being a pretty gruelling event on Saturday.

Last edited by garynortheast; 18-04-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 22-04-18, 08:02 AM   #140
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Goldrush Trail 2018 done. Fantastic event but a tough 8.5 mile course, made harder by 22 degrees of heat! It was brilliantly organised for both unaccompanied runners and canicrossers alike. They had really thought about the needs of the dogs running in the event, with extra drinks stations laid on around the course. I also stopped several times where there were streams and pools to get Mabel in and wet to keep her cool. She was a star though and never flagged once.
2018 Goldrush Trail Canicross.

A couple of pictures.

Mabel looking pretty relaxed before the start.

Mabel
by garynortheast, on Flickr

Just clearing the top of a particularly hard climb!
goldrush2018 by garynortheast10002011, on Flickr

Next event is the 2 Lakes trail race. Mabel and I will be running the 10k canicross event.