SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-18, 07:52 AM   #21
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: gladius problem

Batteries can show a High Voltage but be faulty inside and not capable of holding a Charge and when put under strain the current drops to below what is required to start the vehicle.This is why proper Battery testers put a load on the Battery similar to what would be drawn by the Stater motor.

HTH
Old 01-05-18, 12:04 PM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

As batteries age they lose both the ability to accept and release a charge (their 'internal resistance' gets larger which means that for a given current more voltage is lost inside the battery and less voltage available at the terminals under load), you can lengthen their useful life by keeping them well charged, but every time their charge dips below about 60% they are damaged and the damage is cumulative, and if batteries are left in a discharged state for too long they are FUBAR - depth of discharge is a key killer of lead acid batteries (they should ideally be kept in top 20% of charge all the time). Yuasa AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) are probably the best bike battery as they produce high current for starting, will accept a charge quickly, work well at lower temperatures and are good with vibration and will not leak. They also do not mind being discharged so much as a normal 'flooded' lead acid battery.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-05-18 at 12:05 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 12:44 PM   #23
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentwins View Post
first of all i would like to thank you all for your patience and advice. I have now got bike running. I got a 'friend of a friend' to have a look and we tested battery - correct voltage...we tested all fuses and connections - all good.
I bought a new relay/starter, fitted it and same problem....I went to a dealer who said new battery, I told him we had put a tester on it and volts were good...he told me volts can be good but no amps...I don't even know what that means but i was desperate so bought a new battery and it only bloody worked how can a battery be looking ok but not actually working?....to be honest i dont care anymore i'm back on the road and going for a little blast...thanks again everyone and stay safe...wheeeeee
Errr, I think that's what I suggested in post 12 and was exactly what happened to my SV battery. It held a charge so plenty of volts but a faulty cell meant it wasn't putting out the amps.
Glad you got it working in the end though. Electrics can be really frustrating.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:21 PM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Although Yuasa batteries are a good brand this has bothered me for a while about their so called,"AGM" batteries,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuasa-Mai...sAAOSwkqFax6OH

As they say they come with an Acid pack :/

This is how I've always understood AGM batteries are constructed,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Just throwing it out there.

I've had good longevity and performance from the MotoBatt AGM batteries I've used

http://www.motobatt.com/FAQ-MotoBatt-Battery&p=62&b=59

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 01-05-18 at 02:24 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 07:13 PM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Pretty much every Yuasa battery is 'dry charged' (the plates are pre-charged (formed) in large tanks and then dried and the battery is assembled with the dried plates, this means the discharge rate on the shelf is no existent and also the battery is able to be shipped anywhere by any means of transport because there is no acid contained in it, and adding the acid brings it to life in a pretty much 95% fully charged state even after 12 months in the battery shop. The acid pack is carefully measured amount of acid for each cell, just enough for the glass mat to absorb without any free acid sloshing around, the batteries are VRLA (valve regulated lead acid, the valves allow any gases produced during charging to escape only if a certain pressure is reached) which reduces electrolyte loss to basically nothing over its lifetime. truly maintenance free.

I have tried to charge these batteries after adding the acid but after a few minutes the green 'charged' light on my charger comes on.

All modern batteries (and for many, many years) have been made with ' thru' partition connections' (lead ears are welded through holes in the plastic cell partition walls), so motobat claiming that as a selling point is like a brewer claiming 'our beer is made using water'.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-05-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 07:16 PM   #26
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Pretty much every Yuasa battery is 'dry charged' (the plates are pre-charged (formed) in large tanks and then dried and the battery is assembled with the dried plates, this means the discharge rate on the shelf is no existent and also the battery is able to be shipped anywhere by any means of transport because there is no acid contained in it, and adding the acid brings it to life in a pretty much 95% fully charged state even after 12 months in the battery shop. The acid pack is carefully measured amount of acid for each cell, just enough for the glass matt to absorb without any free acid sloshing around, the batteries a VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) which reduces electrolyte loss to basically nothing over its lifetime. truly maintenance free.

I have tried to charge these batteries after adding the acid but after a few minutes the green 'charged' light on my charger comes on.

Thanks for that.That explains the separate Acid mix.

Can this type still be mounted on the side like the AGM ones I have?
Old 02-05-18, 02:30 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Thanks for that.That explains the separate Acid mix.

The YTX12-BS is an AGM valve regulated battery (although for some reason it does not say AGM on the label) , see this spec sheet and click the red 'download datasheet' button, 'separator specification is AGM' -

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ytx12-bs.html

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-05-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 03:06 PM   #28
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yuasa describe them as 'virtually spill-proof', and once the sealing caps are on the cells after you've put the acid in, you'd need a screwdriver and pliers to get them off again, they really do fit tightly.

In some Ducatis (like the Monster) the battery is mounted at a 30 to 40-degree angle under the tank, and that is fine but I'm not sure if you could actually use the battery laid on its side (i.e. 90 degrees from vertical), for example.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 08:49 AM   #29
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Yuasa describe them as 'virtually spill-proof', and once the sealing caps are on the cells after you've put the acid in, you'd need a screwdriver and pliers to get them off again, they really do fit tightly.

In some Ducatis (like the Monster) the battery is mounted at a 30 to 40-degree angle under the tank, and that is fine but I'm not sure if you could actually use the battery laid on its side (i.e. 90 degrees from vertical), for example.
Good info.I'll stick with my Motobatt AGMs as they are a decent price and come fully charged totally maintenance free so are just basically Fit-Fire-and-Forget.
Plus they have four poles so can be fitted to bikes with a different battery lead configuration if need be.They also have a great none-use shelf life

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-05-18 at 08:50 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 03:02 PM   #30
SV650rules
Mega Poster

All AGM batteries are very low self discharge and also where the acid in a flooded battery will stratify and sulphate the plates if left without charging AGM will not do that.