SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-18, 05:20 PM   #1
proze

Default Shocks. Yes, again.

Afternoon.

I'm trying to scrape together the sheckles to buy a tasty MShock from a forum member. eBay is also peppered with YSS shocks at a reasonable price. There's that budget Ohlins shock, too. All better than the stock shock. All with preload and combined compression/reload adjustment.

Then on the other (cheaper) hand, you have the ZX10, ZX14, Gixxer shocks. Also all better than the stock shock. They're all cheaper than the above on eBay and have preload and separate compression and rebound adjustment. You probably have to hack your battery box, though.

So are the former worth the extra cash? Or are the other OEM shocks as good?

Cheers!
proze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 09:06 AM   #2
rabbit8dude

Default Re: Shocks. Yes, again.

The better you get the front working the more it will show up the fact that the oem, as in oem gsxr/ zx shocks are not setup for the sv chassis if you just bolt them straight on.

I put an aprilia rsv4 shock in mine and the most notable thing was the ride height was more corrected for the type of 'canyon' riding I prefer.

The stock shock wasn't that bad compared to the stock fork which I found dangerous.

The independent suspension forum has lots of usefull tips for reworking the oem sportsbike Kayaba and Showa stuff.

I was a bit purist in wanting a Nitron/ Penske or Ohlins but finances dictated a secondhand replacement that could be manipulated to do a half reasonable job for now got fitted.

I'd go for it especially if you weren't going to rework the fronts dramatically. An expensive aftermarket shock might be a waste in my opinion, in some cases at least.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
rabbit8dude is offline   Reply With Quote