SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-06, 02:10 PM   #1
skidmarx

Default OZ bike hire

Do we have any members here from Melbourne or Sydney? I'm looking for a few leads to help me plan a trip down the great ocean road this summer and need to find bike hire place....anyone got any tips?
Old 21-05-06, 02:50 PM   #2
Grinch

I looked at it a few years ago, and there are some places you can do tours on a bike but it ain't cheap. Nor is Scooter hire, car hire on the other hand is dirt cheap. About $20 a day in some places, I was a bit miffed about it as I didn't have a car lisence at the time. Public transport is great though, so are the trains.
Old 21-05-06, 02:58 PM   #3
Grinch

http://www.bikescape.com.au/rentals/...rice/price.htm

Not cheap...
Old 21-05-06, 03:18 PM   #4
RingDing

How long you over there for? The Lonely Planet guide recommends buying a bike and reselling if you're there for a reasonable length of time. Apparently some bike shops will do a buy back on a bike they sell.

We're going over to do the East Coast this summer. Getting a hire car rather than a bike though, just cause the logistics are a lot easier. From what I've heard the effort of sorting a bike out will be worth it for the coast road though!

P.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-06, 06:18 PM   #5
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingDing
How long you over there for? The Lonely Planet guide recommends buying a bike and reselling if you're there for a reasonable length of time. Apparently some bike shops will do a buy back on a bike they sell.

We're going over to do the East Coast this summer. Getting a hire car rather than a bike though, just cause the logistics are a lot easier. From what I've heard the effort of sorting a bike out will be worth it for the coast road though!

P.
Watch out on the buy back policies, we looked into one for a car a few years back and it was a complete rip off, i think they only paid half of what you bought the car for.

Looked into bike hire myself and always found it very expensive, if you find somewhere good could you post there details up here?
Old 21-05-06, 09:15 PM   #6
lynw

It may be expensive, but believe me its worth every single penny having a bike in Australia.

Nigh on empty roads, stunning scenery and fab weather [unless you go in Winter when contrary to belief it snows and rains in parts]. The Great Ocean road, and even the road from Cairns to Port Douglas is fantastic by bike.

Only drawback is I wouldnt want to go to some places by bike. Anything off a sealed road you'd need a decent off roader tbh, or mix bike hire for bits with car hire for others.

But I loved my SV out there.
Old 22-05-06, 08:24 AM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Only drawback is I wouldnt want to go to some places by bike. Anything off a sealed road you'd need a decent off roader tbh
Croc hazard
Old 22-05-06, 08:34 AM   #8
skidmarx

I'm only going for 2 weeks, a criminal waste of airfare I know but there you go. I am plannig to hire in Sydney drive down to Melbourne and possibly fly or ride back.....It's starting to look expensive.
Old 22-05-06, 08:47 AM   #9
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Only drawback is I wouldnt want to go to some places by bike. Anything off a sealed road you'd need a decent off roader tbh
Croc hazard
Only in Queensland & NT. And really only near water.

I had roads down to Pebbly beach [a MUST if youre heading from Sydney to Melbourne via the coast] in mind for that
Old 22-05-06, 09:32 AM   #10
skidmarx

Anyone know what the hell this is??
'your international motorcycle riders permit'
The bikescape.com site ( cheers grinch) says that you need one and I've never heard of it!