SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 18-02-09, 03:42 AM   #11
thinone

Default Re: insurance in London officially sucks (yes its another insurance post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
32, 1 yr license and NCB - GSXR750 04 £4k on drive

SW18 £1.1k & £500XS

Canterbury (where mrs lives and I spend weekends) £350 & £300XS

Hmmmmm
oh

now I feel so much better!

nice chap knocked over my bike in Edinburgh [in August last year] - owned up to it - nice chap
it has been well repaired

Now my insurance quote / renewal hit the the mat
£477.00 £400excess where has my NCD gone CAROLEnash??

turns out Chaucer ******s haven't sent the documentation to the Car Drivers' insurance

anyway I go to compareinsurance on MCN site and £201.00 is somewhat a better quote - when I put in 4yrs NCD - hey that was HONDA Insurance!

By The Way it is SL1 which is not quite London

anyway I prattle on
Old 18-02-09, 08:05 AM   #12
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: insurance in London officially sucks (yes its another insurance post)

I live in central London and my insurance is a fraction of that.

The location isn't unimportant, but the age/circumstance of the proposer is still the most relevant factor. It's not so much where you live as who you are, which you can't quickly do much about sadly.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 08:49 AM   #13
thinone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post

The location isn't unimportant, but the age/circumstance of the proposer is still the most relevant factor. It's not so much where you live as who you are, which you can't quickly do much about sadly.
OR WHAT you get for your cover
Old 18-02-09, 09:13 AM   #14
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:

Agreed. I pay £70 for the SV. I have had the same bike for 8 years, and been riding for 10 with 9 years NCB
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 09:17 AM   #15
thor

4ncb, ec2, 30yrs old, K4S = £90 (and that was a renewal!)
Old 18-02-09, 10:16 AM   #16
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Agreed. I pay £70 for the SV. I have had the same bike for 8 years, and been riding for 10 with 9 years NCB
+2

I'm 30 and pay £350 fully comp with 4 year NCB on the Thunderace.

Give MCE a go, I was pretty impressed with them this year.
Old 18-02-09, 11:46 AM   #17
etuna

Quote:

£300 odd in Kent v £1100 in Wimbledon suggests to me that in this instance, postcode is a massive factor as based on these two quotes, I am still the same person and the same age.

What kind of bike do you ride out of interest?
Old 18-02-09, 04:22 PM   #18
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

ZX6-R and SV1000. NW3 postcode, full cover.

I'm sorry that you're finding insurance expensive, but the underlying important factor is the proposer, other factors will unquestionably affect the premium, but it's your circumstance; age, insurance history, experience, occupation etc that really make the difference.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 04:28 PM   #19
Jester666

Don't forget that Sid Squid is well advanced in life (as am I ) and is no longer classed as insane on a motorbike, although there may be a few who disagree!

Advancing years = cheaper insurance.
Old 18-02-09, 05:59 PM   #20
etuna

Quote:
ZX6-R and SV1000. NW3 postcode, full cover.

I'm sorry that you're finding insurance expensive, but the underlying important factor is the proposer, other factors will unquestionably affect the premium, but it's your circumstance; age, insurance history, experience, occupation etc that really make the difference.
I guess you have missed my point - all factors between the two quotes are identical, the only variable is the postcode. I understand of course that other factors impact insurance but my soap box rant is aimed particularly at geographic circumstances in this instance and isn't a generic moan at insurance prices albeit I have harped on for too long now trying to explain myself.

When I am 40 and have ten years NCB then of course I can expect a significant reduction in my premium. For now let me moan about postcodes. Thank you and goodnight Vienna

phew