SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-11-08, 10:47 PM   #1
ninja bobw

Default Motorcycle road tax DOUBLED from 2009 petition to sign

Hi guys lifted this from another forum the government plan to double road tax on bikes from 2009 while some small cars will be tax free.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/motorcycle-tax/#detail
Old 09-11-08, 11:39 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Motorcycle road tax DOUBLED from 2009 petition to sign

The only place I've seen this in is MCN. It was apparently on the ETA's website, with an ETA official actually defending bikes, but the statement has since disappeared from their site.

I haven't signed it yet, as it's only in MCN.
Old 10-11-08, 12:15 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Please don't sign it, it's complete **** so every signature just devalues campaigns against things that are actually happening. The clown who created the petition either can't read or is deliberately spreading misinformation- all the figures he quotes for 2009 are for the 151-400 class NOT for 125s, so he's comparing different bands, 08 125cc with 09 bigger bike.

125cc tax is actually frozen for 2009, which is effectively a tax cut. I think it was frozen last year too. The 151-400cc class goes up £1 to £33, but didn't increase last year, so across the 2 years that's also a tax cut. I think, though don't quote me, that the bigger rates also went up by either £1 or £2, but either way that's still an effective cut, since they weren't increased last year- over the 2 years it's a below inflation increase.

Last time this came up, I said this:

"I dunno, it just adds to my general feeling about british democracy... We've got, what, 40% voter turnout, and how many of those will be voting based on the candidate's haircut, or what they read in their local tabloid, or because they've always voted X and always will... Or because of a story they read in the Sun/Guardian/SV650.org etc and swallowed whole, which had literally no connection to the truth whatsoever.

Half a million people signed up against the giant mosque which never existed, (credit for that one claimed by neo-nazi group Stormfront, incidentally), 1.8 million against the "planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy" which also didn't exist, half a million against the ban on the Red Arrows which was made up by the Sun...

This is democracy in action and it's all about people getting up in arms about made up s**t and ignoring the real world."

I'm still right
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:22 AM   #4
Baph

+1 to Northy.

Fortunately I'm one of those that like to verify what I'm told before I believe it.
Old 10-11-08, 01:43 AM   #5
dirtsk8

I stopped buying MCN for precisely this misinforming trashy reason
Old 10-11-08, 07:55 AM   #6
ninja bobw

Sorry if I have offended anyone but as the last time I bought MCN was when it was sold in £ s d so I didn't see it in there whilst I haven't seen it on the news either but very little bike stuff is.Maybe I should have done more research but it looked quite genuine to me at the time of reading.If its not real then obviously dont sign it.
Old 10-11-08, 08:09 AM   #7
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
don't quote me
Ha! What about that, eh? What are you going to do about it? Eh? Eh?
Old 10-11-08, 06:41 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja bobw View Post
Sorry if I have offended anyone but as the last time I bought MCN was when it was sold in £ s d so I didn't see it in there whilst I haven't seen it on the news either but very little bike stuff is.Maybe I should have done more research but it looked quite genuine to me at the time of reading.If its not real then obviously dont sign it.
Hey, sorry mate... I go a bit overboard on this, didn't mean to crush you. You're getting the flak for the 20 or so other times people have posted up false petitions, it drives me mad and I end up taking it out on poor random sods just trying to do the right thing

You know James Whitham repeated this story in TWO last month... Never was the sharpest tool in the box mind But you're in good company!
Old 10-11-08, 06:42 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Ha! What about that, eh? What are you going to do about it? Eh? Eh?
I am going to treat you with stately disdain. So get that right up ye.