SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-09, 04:45 PM   #1
missyburd

Default 2 strokes, is learning on one a bad idea?

Ok so as most of you have probably gathered, there's a little Cagiva 125 Planet sat about waiting for me in YC's garage when I actually get some time to go have a play on it.

I have so far taken a CBT but the experience left a lot to be desired (to cut a long story short, the instructor was a complete to$$pot ) and I came away a) cursing and b) without a completed CBT . Enjoyed a bit of a go on a CG last year and now I'm greatly looking forward to learning properly after uni and hopefully being sorted in the summer.

Now I plan to have a go on this cagiva regardless but I must admit, I'm sensing a rather negative vibe about learning on a 2-stroke. "They're evil/dangerous/prone to spitting you off" and the like. I've also heard I "won't have as much fun as on a 2-stroke", It'll "put all other 125s to shame" and so on.

So how many of you have learnt on one and can you reassure me I'm capable of riding one? Pros and cons?

P.S. I know YC probably will probably see this as being a pointless thread but I'm just a bit intrigued as to people's experiences.

Last edited by missyburd; 11-04-09 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 04:58 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2 strokes, is learning on one a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Ok so as most of you have probably gathered, there's a little Cagiva 125 Planet sat about waiting for me in YC's garage when I actually get some time to go have a play on it.

I have so far taken a CBT but the experience left a lot to be desired (to cut a long story short, the instructor was a complete to$$pot ) and I came away a) cursing and b) without a completed CBT . Enjoyed a bit of a go on a CG last year and now I'm greatly looking forward to learning properly after uni and hopefully being sorted in the summer.

Now I plan to have a go on this cagiva regardless but I must admit, I'm sensing a rather negative vibe about learning on a 2-stroke. "They're evil/dangerous/prone to spitting you off" and the like. I've also heard I "won't have as much fun as on a 2-stroke", It'll "put all other 125s to shame" and so on.

So how many of you have learnt on one and can you reassure me I'm capable of riding one? Pros and cons?

P.S. I know YC probably will probably see this as being a pointless thread but I'm just a bit intrigued as to people's experiences.
How do you plan to have a go on it if you haven't completed your CBT?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:05 PM   #3
zsv650

you need your cbt first but imo 2 stroke's are the only fun 125's to have that arnt gutless wonders i had fun on my kmx125.
Old 11-04-09, 05:05 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Not at all. Should be easy Lovely bikes too.
Old 11-04-09, 05:06 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

A planet will not spit you off in the same way an RG500 would! Theya re designed for learner riders. I really wouldnt worry about it. A 2 stroke 125 in restricted mode isnt any different than a 4 storke 125 learner bike.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:09 PM   #6
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
you need your cbt first but imo 2 stroke's are the only fun 125's to have that arnt gutless wonders i had fun on my kmx125.
Sorry I forgot to mention any playing will be on a private road...

Perhaps the negative opinions I've heard are mainly rumour then. Talks of engine's seizing and such.
Old 11-04-09, 05:14 PM   #7
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention any playing will be on a private road...

Perhaps the negative opinions I've heard are mainly rumour then. Talks of engine's seizing and such.
Some of them have a habit of going ringadingdigndingdingdingdingBANG - it might be worth trying to find a decent mechanic who can look after it for you
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:21 PM   #8
Rich
Mega Poster

I learnt on a 2stroker and had no trouble. Don't worry yourself just get on with it girl!!!
Old 11-04-09, 05:21 PM   #9
skeetly

Little strokers are fine
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:25 PM   #10
Gene genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
A planet will not spit you off in the same way an RG500 would! Theya re designed for learner riders. I really wouldnt worry about it. A 2 stroke 125 in restricted mode isnt any different than a 4 storke 125 learner bike.
+1. aint that a fact.
nowt wrong with a stroker as a learners bike, great fun. i remember all of mine used more oil than fuel.
come on missy, not got your CBT yet. shame on you.