SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-23, 09:01 AM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default A little bit of aftermarket Speedo help if poss please

Good morning. I have bought an aftermarket speedo for my Gen 1 project (those following the rebuild on Youtube have seen my little whoopsie on the wiring,thanks Chris Curvy coming to the rescue) and was wondering if anybody has had any luck wiring the low fuel indicator up. Unfortunately, my electrical knowledge doesn't stretch to how it works with having 3 wires from the tank & having a solid light for low fuel & a flashing light when the tank is virtually empty.
I've looked online & have found 1 person on the SVRiders site that says that adding a diode will make the fuel gauge work, but I don't know if this is true. I have all of the other lights functioning now, but my OCD plays havoc when I know that something doesn't work . Thanks in advance
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 09:55 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: A little bit of aftermarket Speedo help if poss please

You can't fool us, that pic is a rev counter.

This is how D'Ecosse did it on the SVrider forum.

https://www.svrider.com/threads/low-...g-help.364721/

The Radio Shack diode number he quoted is a 1N4007 equivalent.

It didn't work for the guy that posed the question but he admitted wiring the sensor incorrectly before trying D'Ecosse's solution so try at your own risk (although D'Ecosse is usually correct - I've followed him before on the Triumph forum).
Old 07-02-23, 10:33 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

if all it needs is a diode then pretty much any low voltage(ish) diode will work as all it does is stop the reverse voltage which might be the cause of the sensor malfunction.

3 wires.. 1 will be COMmon. another will be low level flash and the other will be steady for get fuel quick. you cannot use the sensor like a fuel "level gauge". if you want this then you would have to retro fit one from a gladdy (i think) or mk4.

how this usually works. there will be a COM feed which supply's the constant voltage. when the float gets low it will switch on the required function. think a light switch.

i'll have a look at the wiring diagram later if i get a chance.

good luck..
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 10:51 AM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
You can't fool us, that pic is a rev counter.
He he, it's supposed to be posh, but it's been a pain.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-23, 10:54 AM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if all it needs is a diode then pretty much any low voltage(ish) diode will work as all it does is stop the reverse voltage which might be the cause of the sensor malfunction.

3 wires.. 1 will be COMmon. another will be low level flash and the other will be steady for get fuel quick. you cannot use the sensor like a fuel "level gauge". if you want this then you would have to retro fit one from a gladdy (i think) or mk4.

how this usually works. there will be a COM feed which supply's the constant voltage. when the float gets low it will switch on the required function. think a light switch.

i'll have a look at the wiring diagram later if i get a chance.

good luck..
Thanks people. I understand now, with it being a switch, it won't show the fuel level, just full & not so full, so my head will be ok if I don't wire it up
You would have to have a sender unit in the tank for a level indicator. Thank you once again

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk