SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-03-23, 03:35 PM   #10921
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

GotD - bloody plastic, particularly in the garden.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 09:58 AM   #10922
Bibio
Mega Poster

my new car....

accelerator, what a nightmare. you press it and there is nothing then out of nowhere everything and the wheels start spinning.

cruse control, what a complicated POC. add to that pressing the + is like stamping on the accelerator while the - is next to useless.

collision avoidance, ermm no.. just no. you go to overtake and the POS cuts in and you have to stamp down to kick down.

left foot braking causes the car to have spazzezz now and again as it does not like acceleration and braking at the same time. parking is a lumpy nightmare due to this. (i use my left foot on the brake like you would use your left foot on the clutch to park. i use my left foot to brake round corners so i can keep the accelerator pressed to keep traction.)

accelerating near the crest of hills. for some strange reason the car likes to accelerate near the top of crests even though my foot has not moved.

dont even get me started on the way the information display is set out... how many button presses do i need to do to do one simple task......

Last edited by Bibio; 07-03-23 at 10:02 AM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 11:39 AM   #10923
embee
Mega Poster

I'm right there with you Bibs, why do they do it?
I worked for 40yrs in the auto industry engineering, but the latest crop of "driver aids" (???) sends me into fits of rage. I just want to get in the car and drive it, not have to go through a 5min pre-flight process of scrolling through menus and deselecting various PITA systems which are on by default in the interests of "safety" but which work in a mediocre manner at best and sometimes even intrusively.
I'm all for passive safety, airbags, ABS and stability control etc, but intervention in steering/braking/accelerating when you don't want it or need it ....... just no.
Oh look, there's a line on the road, let's veer into the path of oncoming vehicles. No.
At least my 2018 Jazz only really has warnings for most stuff, that's fine. It beeps if it thinks you are approaching something too quickly for example, no problem. At least it doesn't decide to steer away from the verge on narrow country lanes. It's the biggest thing which would put me off getting a new car.
Old 17-03-23, 07:06 PM   #10924
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I've had to make two business trips this week, to Derbyshire and then Yorkshire. Catching up on my workload today was a pain but then I tried to make my expense claim. How hard do companies make you work for what they owe you?!

Only after spending half an hour adding my car details and photographing/emailing myself my receipts do I find I'm only allowed £5 for lunch. A simple sandwich, bag of salt n vinegar and a brew at a motorway services is twice that... And I also now know I can only claim £25 for dinner, but if you're in a hotel miles from anywhere and have one pint and the cheapest main course it always costs more than that. And no, I don't have a recent VAT receipts for petrol and the 15p per mile I'm allowed means I now have to claim the rest of the allowable 45p from HMRC in April....

It was so much easier when I was a contractor!
Old 17-03-23, 07:17 PM   #10925
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I've had to make two business trips this week, to Derbyshire and then Yorkshire. Catching up on my workload today was a pain but then I tried to make my expense claim. How hard do companies make you work for what they owe you?!

Only after spending half an hour adding my car details and photographing/emailing myself my receipts do I find I'm only allowed £5 for lunch. A simple sandwich, bag of salt n vinegar and a brew at a motorway services is twice that... And I also now know I can only claim £25 for dinner, but if you're in a hotel miles from anywhere and have one pint and the cheapest main course it always costs more than that. And no, I don't have a recent VAT receipts for petrol and the 15p per mile I'm allowed means I now have to claim the rest of the allowable 45p from HMRC in April....

It was so much easier when I was a contractor!
I don't even get anything to cover lunch if I'm away from home, I have to get that out of my £26 allowance if I stay away overnight. It's been like that for decades.

HMRC don't want you to make any money from expenses allowances. However they get £14 for lunch and £30 for evening meals in their allowance!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-23, 07:19 PM   #10926
maviczap
Mega Poster

My GOTD, why don't companies want my business. Either no reply to emails, or no response to replies I've sent to them.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-23, 10:08 PM   #10927
redtrummy

Went a run on the Cub yesterday and it suddenly stopped. It was getting dusk so I decided to push it home. It was not too far I thought but today I ache about everywhere. Farther Time taking its toll I guess. The cause was traced to a spade connector going high resistance so not too serious, but I ache and ache.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-23, 10:52 PM   #10928
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Went a run on the Cub yesterday and it suddenly stopped. It was getting dusk so I decided to push it home. It was not too far I thought but today I ache about everywhere. Farther Time taking its toll I guess. The cause was traced to a spade connector going high resistance so not too serious, but I ache and ache.
The dubious delights of old Brit machines, powered by the Prince of Darkness! My sympathies RT, been there and done that a few times. Mind you, I was considerably younger then and didn't feel the aching muscles afterwards.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-23, 08:55 AM   #10929
Craig380
Mega Poster

Just when the weather was looking up a bit, it seems to have reverted back to early February
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-23, 09:05 AM   #10930
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Just when the weather was looking up a bit, it seems to have reverted back to early February
+10

Never known it this consistently cr*p this time of year