SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-22, 10:50 AM   #41
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Floppy clutch lever?

I don't know whether this is your problem but someone with a dirt bike on this thread had issues with the clutch dragging when hot caused by contaminated clutch plates:
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...nning-and-hot/
Old 14-11-22, 07:44 AM   #42
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Floppy clutch lever?

Thanks all for guidance you're a good bunch. I'm working my way through all suggestions asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
It may be worth getting the clutch cover off and making sure that the clutch basket isn't coming loose on the end of the shaft?
On job list, for when it's not cold and dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Sounds dubious. I've only ever set mine up cold :/

I would try another clutch cable just in case.
I thought same but cable change planned just incase

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
What have you checked at the lever end?
Lever function, bolts, pivot, mount and adjuster all checked over for defects and only defective part i can find is myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
This is crazy. To be honest I have no idea about the workings of a SV clutch so my only contribution, have you tried the SV riders forum to see if they can suggest anything Geo?
Head banged off every surface and internet scoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
What happens if you set up the clutch, and then, without starting the engine, pull the clutch lever in and out 20 or 30 times? Does it slacken? If not, do the same thing but with the engine running. What happens then?
I can set it turn around twice clap my hands once and pull lever and it can change cold or hot. It can also work well for a few miles then back to the hokey cokey again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I don't know whether this is your problem but someone with a dirt bike on this thread had issues with the clutch dragging when hot caused by contaminated clutch plates:
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...nning-and-hot/
Hmmm worth a think but they worked fine for 500 miles but also worth a look as i did get some fuel in the sump/oil while bike was stood for a few months.

Thanks all i will work through all suggestions, even any that seem daft as you never know

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote