SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-23, 07:41 PM   #11
EssEllTwo

Default Re: Rubber cushioned front sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
those type were a standard fitment n my K7 twin spark. been looking for them for a while (at a decent price). cheers for the link EssEllTwo.

They are also available on M&P (that's where I ended up getting them from).
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-23, 07:51 PM   #12
EssEllTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I visited the site but it says they are out-of-stock for my 99 but I found full kits on eBay with them

SV650 Chain Sprocket kit 99/09 45 tooth rear

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143477646...Bk9SR8L6iI_aYQ

That's a very good price for what you're getting there.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-23, 08:32 PM   #13
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Ah that makes more sense but I still have doubts about how long the rubber actually does anything. Surely the rubber will wear pretty quickly and the chain as it wears will tend, under drive, to move away from it as well!
Any chain is quieter when new but will the damping be effective at the end of its life when its needed more...
Mine were noticeably quieter right up to end of sprocket and chain life. The one currently on my curvy has around 10,000 miles on it and is still doing it's job.

Just to clarify - that rubber ring doesn't go right through the sprocket. It's two separate neoprene rings, one on each side.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-23, 09:46 PM   #14
glang

so rubber rings just bonded onto each side of a sprocket? Well nothing for it but to give one a go I suppose....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-23, 10:10 PM   #15
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

How the actual FFFF can you hear your chain sliding over your sprocket above your exhaust?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 07:18 AM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

On the Z900RS forum some owners changed to a larger front sprocket which didn't have the rubber bonded attachment that was on the stock sprocket - most complained about an increase in chain noise - particularly chain whine. Eventually a Kawasaki sprocket with side rubbers from another model was sourced which fixed that.

Before I got rid of my Zed the chain noise was increasing (4k miles) and was easily heard over the Zed's stock exhaust, on inspection it looked like the chain side plates touched the rubber which is, I suppose, why it quietens the noise (but how long would that last?) I had bought a new Kawa sprocket to see if that would stop the noise but ended up trading the bike before it got fitted.
The Zed's chain was bigger than the SV's so I would be surprised if a bonded sprocket made much audible difference.
Old 12-03-23, 08:50 AM   #17
glang

yes as your chain wears the spacing between the links gets slightly larger and so, when under tension, it runs a little further out on the teeth to wherever their spacing distance matches. Stationary it might look like its still in contact with the rubber but I cant see how it can be when turning. However maybe the rubber just dampens the noise/vibes from the chain being transmitted through the sprocket to the rest of the bike....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote