SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-11, 01:15 PM   #1
Destruktor77

Default Nothing on Starter Button

As title says there's nothing at all when the starter button is pressed, no buzzing or clicking. The bike is a 2002 Naked. (curvy)

The bike has been down on the left side so I guess it could be the Clutch Switch/sidestand switch. is there anyway to turn these off so to say (on my 125 it wouldn't start if I unplugged the stand switch) and how would I go about testing them.

I've opened up the control unit to check the button works, looks okay, and I've followed the wires cleaning every contact point from the button to the starter, still nothing.

Any other advice to some problems it could be?

Regards
Rory.
Old 24-08-11, 01:41 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Nothing on Starter Button

You have checked the kill switch haven't you?

With a meter you can check each of the safety switches are making contact and have juice.
Old 24-08-11, 02:11 PM   #3
Owenski

You can easily by pass both the clutch and sidestand switch, do it for testing or just do it anyway - only remember you've disabled the side stand one cos setting off with it still down hurts your nuts.
Old 24-08-11, 03:14 PM   #4
Destruktor77

Yeah I've checked the Kill switch (done that one before!) How do you by pass the switches? can you simply unplug them?

I'll do the Meter check and see first.
Old 24-08-11, 03:20 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destruktor77 View Post
The bike has been down on the left side so I guess it could be the Clutch Switch/sidestand switch. is there anyway to turn these off so to say (on my 125 it wouldn't start if I unplugged the stand switch) and how would I go about testing them.
Make sure the bike is in neutral if the sidestand is down. If the stand is down you won't be able to start the bike in gear, even with the clutch pulled in.

If it still doesn't start, I'd agree with your guess. If you don't have a meter to test, just bridge the switch connectors with a suitable piece of wire and see if the bike starts. If it does, then you know the problem and can either fix it or bypass the switch permanently.

If you look under the clutch perch you'll see a two pin connector. Pull it out and bridge the two sides of the connector (the female part, not the prongs under the lever).
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 03:48 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Hard wire the clutch switch in. Just remind yourself you won't need to pull it in anymore to start it. Mine went 6 years ago, never had a problem with that particular item since.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 05:48 PM   #7
Destruktor77

Okay, well by-passed the clutch switch and hey presto. How have some of you guys done it as a constant by-pass, because at the moment it's just a piece of wire hanging out. alternately could I just take the whole thing off?
Old 24-08-11, 06:29 PM   #8
wyrdness

Quote:
Okay, well by-passed the clutch switch and hey presto. How have some of you guys done it as a constant by-pass, because at the moment it's just a piece of wire hanging out. alternately could I just take the whole thing off?
Try cleaning the switch first. Chances are that it's just dirrrrty contacts.
Old 24-08-11, 06:52 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:

My local mechanic did it, but I gather its not hard to do. I've got no switch there now, just a bit of black block thats got heat shrink round it....well thats off the top of my head, as I don't go staring at stuff thats fixed ages ago.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 10:19 PM   #10
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
Try cleaning the switch first. Chances are that it's just dirrrrty contacts.
That's worth a try.

If you still want to bypass it permanently, just cut the connector off and join the wires.

Mine is bypassed on the SV as it started to play up.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote