SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-08, 02:09 PM   #1
Baz

Default Front break not lighting break light?

Hello

Just noticed when checking all my lights etc when I pull on the front break the break light dosn't come on. The back is fine just the front thats the problem.
I guess just a relay or something but before I go and start playing around with it thought I would check with you guys.
Any thoughts or ideas where to start?
Old 05-07-08, 03:46 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front break not lighting break light?

Quite likely it is just the switch at the front brake lever. It is a small rectangular plastic box mounted under the bracket (on a curvey anyway). Can you hear it "click" when you operate the lever?

Mine played up, and I found the contacts had some dirt built up. I cleaned it and covered them in vaseline and it has worked fine since.

Note that they are not intended to come apart for cleaning the contacts inside, but you can get them apart by prising the halves apart at the 3 rivetted plastic pins. Otherwise some switches have vent holes in them, in which case simply squirt it full of contact cleaner or WD40, operate the switch a few dozen times, and allow to drain. If it isn't working already, you can't do any harm!

If all else fails they cost about £7 (I think).
Old 05-07-08, 05:29 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Quite likely it is just the switch at the front brake lever. It is a small rectangular plastic box mounted under the bracket (on a curvey anyway). Can you hear it "click" when you operate the lever?

Mine played up, and I found the contacts had some dirt built up. I cleaned it and covered them in vaseline and it has worked fine since.(I think).
+ 1
Old 05-07-08, 09:25 PM   #4
Baz

Ok contacts look clean, gave them a spray with contact cleaner anyway but to no effect, the only clicking I can hear is from the break itself not the break leaver.
I have also measured the voltage to make sure it's not a power problem also belled through the conection from the rectangular plastic box mounted under the bracket right through to the conection at the tail both of these seem fine.
Any other ideas?
Old 05-07-08, 09:36 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

If you link the connector wires at the front switch does the brake light come on?
Old 05-07-08, 09:45 PM   #6
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
If you link the connector wires at the front switch does the brake light come on?
Havn't tried that. I take it what your getting at there is by passing the switch?
Will give it a go, might leave it to tomorrow though, it appers monsoon season just started outside.
Old 07-07-08, 05:17 PM   #7
Baz

Just tried conecting the wires together and the light comes on, I take it the problem is going to be the switch in the break lever? Is this something that can be fixed at home or is it a garage job?
Old 07-07-08, 05:19 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Hello

Just noticed when checking all my lights etc when I pull on the front brake the break light dosn't come on. The back is fine just the front thats the problem.
HTH

It's the switch that's dodgy then, might as well replace it with a pressure switch banjo bolt, easier when you upgrade something then...
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 05:25 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
might as well replace it with a pressure switch banjo bolt, easier when you upgrade something then...
More reliable too...
Old 07-07-08, 08:02 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

It'll be the contacts (inside the switch, not the cable conectors).

You have 2 options on this, try to prise the switch apart and clean them up (as described in my first reply), or simply replace the switch. I'd suggest you may as well try the clean up since it's not working anyway so nothing to lose. If it fails just get a new switch, not a huge outlay and only 2 screws. Incidentally other bikes use the same/compatible switch (my Honda has the same thing just with a vent hole modification).

As the others say, the third way is with a pressure switch, but that's another story.