SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-06, 01:37 PM   #1
nickj

Default Does this sound right to anyone........

Driving home from work the other night on the M6 i was two cars behind a women in a shogun who decided to bounce off of one car and then turn right on the fast lane and crash into the central reservation at about 70mph.

To cut a long story short i pulled over and helped her but she was absolutley paraletic. She could hardly stand, refused to put her shoes on (driving without them )or move out onto the hard shoulder.

Basically what i want to know is that from a later phone call from the police i found out she refused to do a breathiliser so they had to do a blood test but this takes 6-8 weeks to get back, i thought they could get the results from these within a couple of hours.

Also can she drive in between as at the moment surely she can't be charged with drink driving until the resluts come back
Old 21-09-06, 01:43 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Does this sound right to anyone........

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj
Driving home from work the other night on the M6 i was two cars behind a women in a shogun who decided to bounce off of one car and then turn right on the fast lane and crash into the central reservation at about 70mph.
Doing about 70 on the motorway you say? Well, nowt wrong with that. I'm sure the accident wasn't her fault. Not like these pesky speeders that kill themselves every time they go over the limit.
Old 21-09-06, 01:55 PM   #3
Baph

I wouldn't really like to comment other than the fact that something definately doesn't seem right.

Whether this is because of any substance abuse (alcohol or otherwise), or mental problems, or simply being over tired, I'll leave that for Mr Plod to establish.
Old 21-09-06, 01:58 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Doing about 70 on the motorway you say? Well, nowt wrong with that. I'm sure the accident wasn't her fault. Not like these pesky speeders that kill themselves every time they go over the limit.
Very -
Quote:
she was absolutley paraletic.
and caused an accident

Anyway, I thought you were done for failing to do a breathalyser. (I guess she was incapable of blowing for long and hard enough, phnarr!)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 02:09 PM   #5
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Anyway, I thought you were done for failing to do a breathalyser. (I guess she was incapable of blowing for long and hard enough, phnarr!)
My understanding is that you can be arrested for failing to provide a roadside sample but you won't be charged with that. Any charge will be based on what happens when they get you back to the station (blood test, etc)

No idea about the 6-8 weeks wait, though. I thought it was alot quicker, too.
Old 21-09-06, 02:15 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
My understanding is that you can be arrested for failing to provide a roadside sample but you won't be charged with that. Any charge will be based on what happens when they get you back to the station (blood test, etc)

No idea about the 6-8 weeks wait, though. I thought it was alot quicker, too.
So do you have the right to refuse a blood test?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 02:21 PM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Perhaps on religious grounds, but then they'd fall back to urine test. If you refused that as well, they'd probably throw something like "perverting the course of justice" at you.
Old 21-09-06, 02:24 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
You have the right to refuse.......in so much as they can't strap you to a seat and forcibly take a sample.

However, it is an offence to refuse to give a sample (unless, for example, you have a medical reason such as haemophelia) and the penalties are at least as high as any drink-drive conviction would be, and often higher because Court will assume that you were ****ed as as well as obstructive.
Old 21-09-06, 02:30 PM   #9
Captain Nemo

you can drive until the courts take your licence away, you can kill siz nuns whilst high on crack and as long as you dont get remannded you can drive home the next day .refusing to give a breath sample, gets you arrested and taken to a station where you are asked again to give one, if you refuse again you get booked for failing to give a sampoe, which unless you have a very very good reason will result in you being summonsed and most likely banned

if you fail at the roadside youre arressted and taken to a station and tested again on a different machine.

its the good old british justice system , innocent until proven guilty and all that
Old 21-09-06, 02:33 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I still don't understand people who drink and drive, it makes no sense

If I pulled somebody out of a car who was p*ssed as a newt I dont know that after what happened to my mate I would be inclined to help them.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote