SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-07, 04:32 PM   #1
philh

Default Whoopsie! (Nearly...)

I witnessed a very close call this morning!

Major single carriageway splits into two lanes for traffic lights at crossroads. I've filtered to the front of the queue. Most of the traffic travelling in my direction is turning left, so I have all of the right hand lane to myself.

Ahead of me, traffic travelling in the opposite direction reflects a similar scenario. Two lanes of trafic stopped at lights. Traffic in the left lane going left or straight ahead, traffic in the right lane turning right (across my lane and into the road on my left).

Lights go amber. I start to move off whilst paying careful attention to the blue fiesta at the head of the opposing right-lane queue that may try to jump across my path to make it's right turn.

Suddenly, some chap on a Repsol-Honda-something comes filtering down the white line on the outside of the opposing traffic and nearly t-bones the fiesta who has started to move forward and right. The fiesta was not indicating, but it should have been obvious to the Honda Guy that the fiesta was in the right hand lane and going to move to the right and into his path.

It was a close one. Honda guy flicks hard right and misses the front offside of the fiesta by what must have been millimeters! Then he has to flick hard left again to get out of the path of opposing traffic. Of course, whilst all of this was happening I had hardly moved. If I had of pulled off then Honda Guy might have swerved right into me!

I'm sure Honda Guy knew he had ballsed-up. I filter a lot in town and it was a good reminder of the sort of things that need to be looked out for. All the signs were there that the fiesta was gonna move right when the lights changed. A momentary lapse in concentration nearly had Honda Guy on his ****. It's a mistake any of us could make.

Take care peeps!
Old 30-01-07, 05:08 PM   #2
kwak zzr

everyones out to get ya, ride safe peeps
Old 30-01-07, 05:09 PM   #3
Baph

I actually had a close whoopsie this morning too. I agree, a reminder to be cautious at all times.

In my case, I was running late for work, and filtering hard on the A55 (dual carriage way, no side roads).

Along comes the road works, and I keep filtering hard (being mindful of people working at the roadworks). On one occasion a w****r had come across to block me a few times, so I played cone slalom & went into the coned off area to pass him. I know others may frown on this, but I wasn't staying behind a tw@, so I went past anyhow I could.

Later on, another tw@. Bear in mind the speed limit of the roadworks is 40mph. Just as I realised this, & the thought came to me to play cone slalom again & I'm about to do the usual mirror, shoulder, flick. I heard a loud engine on my left, so instinctively dived right away from the noise. What was it? A transit van for the roadworks doing a good 80mph+ in the coned off area that I was thinking about moving into.

Almost got myself squashed, luckily I heard it & I was going to check mirrors anyway, but still wasn't a pleasant experience!
Old 30-01-07, 05:14 PM   #4
PsychoCannon

Blimey hows that for a reminder to do your life saver

I've amazed myself with the things that have hidden in my blind spot and almost squished me when I've gone to move out for an overtake.

Closest thing to this I've had was when I moved to undertake on a private road *cough* doing a respectable 120ish, moving back out in the fast lane when a green blur flies past me on the outside

As I went "under" the car hogging the fast lane the hogger starts to move out and this guy overtook on the "outside" and he was going a damn site faster than me and we very almost had a close talk about it....

Reminded me that I'm not the fastest thing on the road by a long shot and that I need to check always >_<.
Old 31-01-07, 02:34 PM   #5
sdusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCannon
Closest thing to this I've had was when I moved to undertake on a private road *cough* doing a respectable 120ish, moving back out in the fast lane when a green blur flies past me on the outside

As I went "under" the car hogging the fast lane the hogger starts to move out and this guy overtook on the "outside" and he was going a damn site faster than me and we very almost had a close talk about it....

Reminded me that I'm not the fastest thing on the road by a long shot and that I need to check always >_<.
I was about to ask you whether the blur was green, and then I noticed that you did in fact say that it was...I don't suppose it was *big* and green?