SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-04-13, 06:38 PM   #1
Brettus

Default OMO: Ladder advice

Evening all,
I need to get up on my flat roof (single storey), I could do it with a combination of step ladder, brute force and a good deal of ignorance but I'd prefer to do it safely and repeat-ably. I'd looked into telescopic ones a while ago and you have to pay for a good one as there are so many joints that need to be good. I could also get a set of extension ladders, slightly more awkward to store but cheaper to begin with.

I could also do with cleaning the guttering which is at the second floor so could do with some reach to there but not sure if that is another league of ladder requirements then?

Anyway, thoughts, comments and advice much appreciated as always.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-13, 06:49 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: Ladder advice

just get yourself a decent extending two piecer. That way you can clean your gutters as well as getting onto your flat roof.

Generally DIY quality is sufficient for most home users. Even a lardy like me is safe up my aluminium Abru 7.5m jobby. Neighbour lends me his massive pully operated ladders (About 15m) when I had to paint my lads gable end as I was considering putting the ladders onto of the tower scaffold. (Bad idea). But they are very expensive and very heavy

Flex is good, you have not stressed it to snap point. I am not a fan of those adjustable feet though. They got unbolted from mine.

Last edited by timwilky; 30-04-13 at 06:53 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-13, 07:43 PM   #3
Winder

Agreed, DIY ladders are spot on for those tasks. Never used a telescopic ladder but have used plenty of B&Q type cheap aluminium ladders. If you are using it more and more i would advise a ladder stopper, really good bit of kit, even on wet decking and the like.
Old 30-04-13, 07:51 PM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I bought a combi ladder thing from B+Q, it can be 3 x 7 foot ladders, a triangle with a long side, or a single ladder that will reach the upstairs windows. You can also make shapes to use on the stairs indoors.
If you take just one bit its as light as anything and can reach ground floor gutters.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-13, 08:12 PM   #5
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I bought a combi ladder thing from B+Q, it can be 3 x 7 foot ladders, a triangle with a long side, or a single ladder that will reach the upstairs windows. You can also make shapes to use on the stairs indoors.
If you take just one bit its as light as anything and can reach ground floor gutters.
Yep I was gonna suggest one of these.

I've got a good set of telescopic ones, a wickes set of extension ladders, a industrial set of ally extension ladders and a large set of steps, covers me for most things.

One thing I would recommend, if you do buy a set of extension ladders, buy a stand off attachment for them, it means you get to your gutters without having to put the ladders on the fascia board or gutter, much more stable too.
Old 30-04-13, 10:13 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Defintely second the stand-off. It moves you away from the thing you're working on and makes it much safer. Always think about security of the ladders and yourself, never over-reach.

I have a Youngmans combi ladder which is very sturdy if a bit heavy for casual use. It has a wide bar at the foot, nice and stable.

I like to run a rope from the foot of the ladder to something immovable, just in case, and usually a tie at the top if at all possible.
Old 01-05-13, 11:20 AM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I also have one of these - useful but not long enough to get to the gutters and not sure if I could get a stand-off.

Will be taking the plunge and getting a set of 2 or 3 piece extension ladders when funds allow. Not sure where I'm going to put them mind as the garage is already rather cluttered...