SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-07, 12:02 AM   #1
kcowgergmm

Default mainance question

I was going through the service manual and i saw throttle body sync but was unsure of the tool you needed to do it got me a bit confused but i am crazy when it comes to maintenance and i probably wont be able to sleep until i get it figured out. Has any one on here done it and if so what does it require any advice would be welcomed
Old 25-05-07, 12:05 AM   #2
kcowgergmm

Default Re: mainance question

oh one other question where can i get a gage to check compression and oil preassure
Old 25-05-07, 12:08 AM   #3
Baph

The throttle body sync means you lift the tank, plug in a carb balancer (I have a CarbTune II) to the vacuum ports of each cylinder, and use a screw driver to adjust as needed.
Old 25-05-07, 12:13 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

And again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Previously I wrote View Post
I'd save my money if I were you, seen those before and to be honest they are a bit "hit or miss", I know you said money was tight, but sometimes you've got to use the right tool for the job.

as suggested I'd try borrowing one (you might even get the owner to help you do it ), get down to your local meet (adding you location to your profile helps too).

However if you have to buy then it's a long term investment, get a 4 pot version and it'll do any bike you ever have, well worth it as you can do it at every service (you can't "over sync" them).

Probably the best tool would be a Carbtune (actually the Cartune II) which retails at just over £50, nice bit of kit, floats in tubes.

But if you're into gauges then I'd recomend Davida ones,(normally reconisable buy the red mounting backplate and white faces).

the base model gauges are good enough though (blue backplate and black faces, about £35 or so)

I really wouldn't bother with anything else (like the suggested ebay item or something like a Gunsosns Lo gauge), although they might work to a degree and better than not doing it you won't get it perfectly balanced, it's more a rough guide thing.

Hope that helps

Cheers Mark.
a compression gauge can be sourced from most auto places.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 12:18 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

there isn't a simple way of measuring oil pressure on the SV (you only have a low oil warning (level, not pressure)), you could always plumb in a gauge using additional hoses, but it'd be a real pain, but not impossible.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 25-05-07, 12:21 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Probably the best tool would be a Carbtune (actually the Cartune II) which retails at just over £50, nice bit of kit, floats in tubes.
Now superseded by the Carbtune Pro, at the same price as the Carbtune II was.
Old 25-05-07, 12:29 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Now superseded by the Carbtune Pro, at the same price as the Carbtune II was.
It's only a cosmetic change, works the same way, I'd see if I could get a secondhand II on ebay.

Cheers Mark.
Old 25-05-07, 02:32 AM   #8
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Baph- u have yer own!

is it easy

can I ride over and u balance mine and I give u some dosh !..
Old 25-05-07, 06:58 AM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

As mentioned above you'll need vacuum gauges to balance your throttle bodies, (exactly the same job as with carbs and for the same reason).
If money is tight I remember someone posting a link to a home made u-tube manometer that gave good results, I'll have to have a nose around to see if I can find that.
As to the cylinder compression and oil pressure checks, unless you have a significant mileage on your bike or have a fault that would require these checks to diagnose, they could be considered somewhat esoteric, don't worry about them - if your bike runs well they're OK.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 07:46 AM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
Baph- u have yer own!

is it easy

can I ride over and u balance mine and I give u some dosh !..
I'll need to get it back from my neighbour, and I've never done it on a curvy (carb balance rather than throttle sync then), but sure, whenever your around this way give me a shout.

Only takes a couple of mins to do a pointy's throttle bodies, I'm guessing that curvy's would be the same sort of time (longest part about it is getting the tank up!), so don't worry about the cash fella. I could probably sync my throttle bodies before the kettle had boiled.

Same applies to all org-ers btw, if you're around North Wales, I have a Carbtune available for use.