SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 14-09-08, 06:09 PM   #1
Griffo

Default Nice places to Ride Outside London Request

Hello,

I just got back in from a bit of a ride I took after the Grand Prix. I went down the M4 and then out around Reading a bit, then just got back in.

I had quite a disappointing ride I must say, though I think there are two reasons for this:

1. I've only just got her back after coming off in a stupid only-me-involved lock-up of the front. So I don't feel so confident/happy yet

2. I didn't know/find out where to go from living in Ealing to get to some good roads. I used to be in brum so it was easy, plus Wales

So I thought the best place to ask for recommendations would be here. As I say I'm in Ealing, so I want to find some good roads West/South. Or North I suppose! Just somewhere that doesn't take all day to get to.

Well, if anyone has any suggestions they shall be gratefully received.

Cheerio,

Matt
Old 14-09-08, 06:16 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: Nice places to Ride Outside London Request

well if u want a drive next weekend
i now know a really nice route down to brighton.
all twisties and back roads its lovely.
look for the A24 on google maps then theres all the off shoots.
Old 14-09-08, 06:26 PM   #3
Griffo

Oh I see it, thanks! I'll give that a try when I get time. My brother lives in Brighton/Hove so I can visit the git and get insulted all afternoon!
Old 14-09-08, 06:51 PM   #4
BBadger

o.
well Rykers is at the bottom of box hill
and a few orgers are there some days aswell if you want a rideout.
Old 15-09-08, 03:12 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Ride to brighton; my route: A24, then across the A272. At cowfold, you come to two mini roundabouts - right at the first, and then straight-over-but-a-bit-to-the-right at the second (or, if you like things a bit more simple, dont follow the A272). Carryon down this road. First roundabout go right over, then the next one (its a mini one, with a petrol station next to it...shell i think) go left. This'll bring you onto the A23 in a few miles.

I think also going down the A29 a bit before joining the A24 further south is a good road, my dad mentioned something about it the toher day...check that on a map though. The roads are generally in excellent condition (few approcahes on roundabouts to be carefull of) and traffic generally light; can sometimes be a bit of a bother to find a safe place to overtake.
Old 15-09-08, 04:09 PM   #6
Lucas

only know nice rides inside london:

Dean street, Soho Square and Ace Cafe!!
Old 15-09-08, 05:51 PM   #7
BBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
only know nice rides inside london:

Dean street, Soho Square and Ace Cafe!!
oo soho sqaure ... 4 corners its thrilling !
Old 15-09-08, 05:53 PM   #8
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
Hello,

I just got back in from a bit of a ride I took after the Grand Prix. I went down the M4 and then out around Reading a bit, then just got back in.

I had quite a disappointing ride I must say, though I think there are two reasons for this:

1. I've only just got her back after coming off in a stupid only-me-involved lock-up of the front. So I don't feel so confident/happy yet

2. I didn't know/find out where to go from living in Ealing to get to some good roads. I used to be in brum so it was easy, plus Wales

So I thought the best place to ask for recommendations would be here. As I say I'm in Ealing, so I want to find some good roads West/South. Or North I suppose! Just somewhere that doesn't take all day to get to.

Well, if anyone has any suggestions they shall be gratefully received.

Cheerio,

Matt
Hey Matt,

I'm this w/end so hoping to take the bike out Saturday or Sunday maybe both days. I know so places to head out to, but I'm also looking for new places to ride. Interested in doing that?
Old 15-09-08, 06:02 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
Anywhere, because riding in London is soul destroying.
Old 15-09-08, 10:00 PM   #10
Griffo

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bluethunder, sounds good, but if I'm honest I think I want to get my confidence back riding the thing before going in convoy, even a 2 man convoy hehe

I need to spend a day out in the middle of nowhere and get re-acquainted with the lovely. I'm pretty rusty after a month or so of not riding and not even confident getting my lean on

I was getting less than 140 before flashy lights in Wales, sunday I got 170!

Ok I need to stop feeling sorry for myself now!

Last edited by Griffo; 15-09-08 at 10:03 PM.