SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-05, 06:22 PM   #1
CoolGirl

Default Missing it :(

It hit me like a ton of bricks last week and over the weekend.

I know it's cold out, but I miss the morning kick of 'dealing with' the traffic, arriving at work wired from the thrill of getting there on 2 wheels. And then there's the promise of booting it off a roundabout and listening to it spit flames as it hits the rev limiter.

It's been great still being very much part of the gang, and, no disrespect to Mssrs Jelly and Moriarty, riding pillion's just not the same as being on the front end and feeling the bike respond to a bit of right hand.

Any ideas on how to get to grips with this one?
Old 24-01-05, 06:26 PM   #2
jonboy

Do you think you're still able to ride a bike safely? If so (forgetting about the public road), might a track bike be the answer with monthly outings? Just that if you can legally drive a car still then you'll probably be okay on a track, particularly if you take it easy.

Just a thought Debs...

Old 24-01-05, 06:30 PM   #3
Iansv

If you can still legally drive a car then what about a trike ?
Old 24-01-05, 07:16 PM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

Just mind the filtering!
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-05, 08:29 PM   #5
CoolGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
might a track bike be the answer?
I did seriously think about it over the weekend, but....

1. I can't afford to run a bike that would only be used occasionally and then have the ****-ache of getting it trailered to the track and back

2. Being an occasional rider, it could take me a while to get into the groove and would, therefore, be a waste of half of the day.

3. If I went with a track day company that loan bikes, I'd have the added headache of getting to grips with an unfamiliar steed, and probably one that doesn't suit my size.

As for a trike, I'm not prepared to grow the beard or put the hours in the pub cultivating the beer gut
Old 24-01-05, 08:47 PM   #6
K

Do you know someone else who is thinking of doing track days? If so, what about the possibility of getting a bike together and 'timesharing' it?

If you get an SV then you should at least regain your familiarity quicker even if only with occasional use.

I don't know how viable this would be; but you could perhaps 'rent' it out (with suitable insurance cover provided by the rider) to others for track use too. There seem to be a fair few here who would like to try the track, but their bike is their only transport.

Just an idea.
Old 24-01-05, 09:01 PM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
As for a trike, I'm not prepared to grow the beard.....
You mean are able to but don't want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
......... or put the hours in the pub cultivating the beer gut
Aye, but a bit of a gut would help keep the front down during the drag-race from the lights

Sorry - I don't have a sensible suggestion, I'm afraid
Old 24-01-05, 10:35 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Debs,
As my SV will be retiring in the summer, and I'll be doing a few trackdays on the Triumph, I've got no objecting to getting it trailered to the track (brother normally trailers his bike and it's a two bike trailer).

I know it's not like yours, but it goes ok for an old one (02).

on the understanding "you break it you pay to fix it"

but the offers there if you want it.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-05, 10:36 PM   #9
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Do you know someone else who is thinking of doing track days? If so, what about the possibility of getting a bike together and 'timesharing' it?

If you get an SV then you should at least regain your familiarity quicker even if only with occasional use.

I don't know how viable this would be; but you could perhaps 'rent' it out (with suitable insurance cover provided by the rider) to others for track use too. There seem to be a fair few here who would like to try the track, but their bike is their only transport.

Just an idea.
Now that's quite a good idea. In fact you might well find there are several people on the forum that would be prepared to syndicate a track bike.

Old 25-01-05, 09:12 AM   #10
CoolGirl

Communal track bike - now there's a thought.

Funnily enough, this came up last summer when Pete Smith was selling his Gixered-up SV. I couldn't fund it at the time, but it seemed like a good idea. I'll think through the logistics and post something up.

Mark - your generosity is humbling. And very tempting with the knowledge that there's most of the components of an SV in spare parts in your bro's garage.