SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-06, 07:08 PM   #1
Caddy2000

Default Tesco

Went out on Sunday 2up, and was having a lovely day until I had to fill up.
Got to Maldon, and stopped off for some nice RON 99. Went off to pay, qued up for a bit and finally got the front of the que passed over my debit card.
The bloke took it, started to process my transaction and asked me to take off my lid.
He gave me a funny look when I said no. And by the time he'd processed this response with his two brain cells I'd already enterd my pin and he'd handed back my card.
I asked him why I should spend several minutes taking my lid off, to which he replied "It's a security issue"
I asked where the signs were, to which he said that they were on the door.
Apparently he didn't think it was a bit late by then to be taking off your lid, and when asked why if he had a problem with me buying petrol with my lid on did he turn the pump on, all I got was a goldfish response and "remember to remove your helmet next time"
"Next time", I replied "I'll be in Sainsburys"

I thought Tesco had scrapped this sh1te?!
It's amazing how alike a shotgun and debit card are......
Old 23-08-06, 07:19 PM   #2
Baph

Personally I always take my helmet off when going inside a shop or whatever. I've worked in some pretty hostile environments, and had to quite literally choose to put myself in danger before others are harmed on numerous occasions. However, when someone is after money, that's different, they can have it, the money is generally insured, I generally haven't been, nor have those innocent around me.

It takes me a few minutes to avoid the risk of upsetting/scaring someone. They don't know that you're going for the inside of your jacket to get your debit card out after all, and with all the hype about terrorists, I'd imagine quite a lot of staff are like cats on hot bricks. After all, it's only a few minutes, why worry?

I take it your local Tesco doesn't have the 'Pay at pump' facility that mine does. Almost every pump you caan pay for your fuel by putting your card in before you draw fuel. Asda have the same. I prefer them when I'm in a rush, as it means I roll in, fill up, and blat off
Old 23-08-06, 07:20 PM   #3
lynw

Default Re: Tesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000
Went out on Sunday 2up, and was having a lovely day until I had to fill up.
Got to Maldon, and stopped off for some nice RON 99. Went off to pay, qued up for a bit and finally got the front of the que passed over my debit card.
The bloke took it, started to process my transaction and asked me to take off my lid.
He gave me a funny look when I said no. And by the time he'd processed this response with his two brain cells I'd already enterd my pin and he'd handed back my card.
I asked him why I should spend several minutes taking my lid off, to which he replied "It's a security issue"
I asked where the signs were, to which he said that they were on the door.
Apparently he didn't think it was a bit late by then to be taking off your lid, and when asked why if he had a problem with me buying petrol with my lid on did he turn the pump on, all I got was a goldfish response and "remember to remove your helmet next time"
"Next time", I replied "I'll be in Sainsburys"

I thought Tesco had scrapped this sh*te?!
It's amazing how alike a shotgun and debit card are......
Ask if youre supposed to remove lid using pay at pump. If no, why should you have to if you walk into the station card in hand to pay?

You can refuse to remove lid. If they refuse to serve you offer them cash for the fuel [cards dont count on this I believe]. If they refuse you have the right to ride away without paying - as long as you can tell old bill they refused your offer of payment theyre buggered if they try to pursue it as it was they who refused.

Either use pay at pump or sainsburys for a quiet life though.
Old 23-08-06, 07:39 PM   #4
jonboy

Tesco have now (after complaints) agreed to serve bikers wearing their lids. Obviously this cashier hadn't been informed. And Lyn is right, if they refuse payment then that's their problem — simply write your name and address down on a piece of paper, with the amount owed, and hand it to them with the words "please invoice me".

Old 23-08-06, 07:41 PM   #5
Coddy_SV1000Z

i have had this problem a few times and a few lads i know have too, i asked them what if i were in my car and was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses would they ask me to remove them too and they couldnt answer that, havent used tesco's for fuel on my bike since
Old 23-08-06, 07:50 PM   #6
Caddy2000

This is the first Petrol station I have been asked to take my lid off in....

Terrorist alert my bottom!! If I was a terrorist I'd start filling my bike off and then detonate it! Dude in a que with a card in his had ready, and pillion stood by bike
Old 23-08-06, 07:55 PM   #7
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

I always go into the petrol station to queue up to pay while Pete fills the bike. I've never once been asked to remove my crash helmet. In fact I was once in the queue at a petrol station we use fairly often and a silly woman made some comment in a loud voice about 'shouldn't bikers remove their helmets' to which the cashier replied 'don't be silly, she's a regular and valued customer'

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-06, 07:55 PM   #8
kwak zzr

ive never came across this and alway leave my skid lid on.
Old 23-08-06, 07:57 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Ive never had a problem with my local Tescos/Sainsburys/Morrisons, mabey because my bike is sooo recognisable they always remember me. But if they did not turn the pump on, i would prolly pull all the fillers onto the fourcourt as a protest.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-06, 09:55 PM   #10
MR K

Please excuse my ignorance but why is it so bad to just take the lid off? I always take my lid off when filling up especially when going into the store. Even though places can't force you to do it, there is no reason to make someone feel uncomfortable when it takes 20 seconds to just take the lid off and put it back on again.

As for riding off without paying, I'm not sure that it is the best thing to do as that is definately a criminal offence and I don't think the Old Bill is gonna look too kindly on it.

After all, you wouldn't go into the local supermarket and do some shopping with your lid on, so why do it when getting petrol, especially when petrol stations are often targeted by robbers etc.

Just my 2 pence but if you can do something to make someone else's life less stresfull, why not do it.