SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 06-05-07, 10:36 PM   #1
lynw

Default Places to stay....

Ok, Im heading north again in a few weeks and while Im kind of confident Id do the 700 miles to Wick on the CBF in one day, Im being *shock* sensible and planning to stop off and do it in two days.

So Im thinking of a number of things here. First option is to stop around Jedburgh/borders area. Second option is further up to Edinburgh [done that on the SV so should find its ok on the CBF]. Third option may be meeting mate in Perth.

Recommendations for b&b's/hotels would be really appreciated for any of those options. Thanks.

Lyn
Old 07-05-07, 08:47 AM   #2
The Basket

Default Re: Places to stay....

If your willing to get to Edinbrugh then Perth should be no probs. Perth is on the A9 which is the road that gets to Inverness and then on to Wick.

My memory is dodgy but if I recall, the roads up to Wick are twidderly and not good for fast progress so a two day split is a good idea. Also just becoz its summer don't mean sunshine.

How much are you willing to spend and what location you're willing to get too is also a factor. I would split the journey in half and go from there.
Old 07-05-07, 08:58 AM   #3
kitkat

there are a few travel lodge type places at the big roundabout at a9 near weirs of perth (honda dealer)
Old 07-05-07, 10:27 AM   #4
independentphoto

Pitlochry has some nice accomodation if you pop by that direction. It's not far off track and would be nice & relaxing before continuing on. A search should yield something of interest.

Perhaps Stuartyboy will be along shortly with some recommendations.

Cheers

Garry
Old 07-05-07, 10:57 AM   #5
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentphoto View Post
Perhaps Stuartyboy will be along shortly with some recommendations.
Garry
Only if you're looking for somewhere seedy and need to go in disguise

Depends on your price range and if you're going to have a few shandies with the locals. We're all friendly

Kinross has a few good hotels/b&bs. It's literally 10 mins over the Forth Road Bridge and 10 mins to Perth.

Muirs Inn Kinross
Green Hotel
B&B's a plenty along the main street
Thistle Hotel (Milnathort) - good food, good beer and good chat.

Perth has loads of places. There are the typical travel lodges but if it's a B&B then the best place is to go over the Friarton Bidge and take the exit at the end of the Bridge. This takes you along Dundee Road and past the Ilse of Skye Hotel. Keep straight on here past 2 sets of traffic lights then there are literally dozens of B&Bs all the way to Scone.
Old 07-05-07, 11:22 AM   #6
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy View Post
Depends on your price range and if you're going to have a few shandies with the locals. We're all friendly
Well, it would be rude not to

The Basket, your memory is not dodgy. The road from Inverness to Wick is indeed.. er... interesting and after many hours riding to get to Inverness wouldnt be as much fun as it would if I stopped over. Have been up to Wick a few times and getting to know that road reasonably well hence the "sensible" mode kicking in

Dates Im looking at end of May so I may even be around for the rideout
Old 07-05-07, 06:20 PM   #7
The Basket

I had to travel to Scrabster via Wick and couldn't remember if the roads got twidderly before or after. In a car coz it was winter and I had a job do. More like a rally stage than a main road.

A9...to Inverness...my least favourite road...yuk.

Fife is very touristy so would be easy to find any accommodation at a reasonable price. Around St Andrews is easy but that could be out ya way.
Old 08-05-07, 10:31 AM   #8
setanta

North of Perth there is a place called Ballinluich (sp) it has a 50mph speed limit make sure you heed it, cameras there and a lot of people have had their licences temporarily removed (ahem, cough). Volvo estates can mean unmarked police cars and they also use private companies in little vans to nab you
After Inverness its just fun roads