SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-07, 07:51 AM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Fitting a new shock tonight.

...anything I need to look out for?

I've been wd40ing and oiling the (currently in place) stock suspension mounting nuts and bolts and the dog bones for the past 2 weeks, I've rigged up a system for lifting the back end in the air so the rear wheel is unloaded. I've checked I have the right size spanners/sockets (and have even made notes of sizes and torque setting).

Anything else I need to do prep wise? I have a Haynes manual and it looks straightforward enough (famous last words). Is it really neccessary to take the seat off to get at the top bolt securing the shock (it looks like I might just be able to reach them as it is)? Haynes seems to suggest you might need to remove the exhaust. It doesn't look like I will, but can anyone confirm this?

The shock is a Nitron without a remote resevoir.

Just wanted to check as a mate is coming down to give a hand and I didn't want it to be a wasted journey. Another friend will be photographing the process, so hopefully I'll have the basis of a decent "how to" guide for other people to use in future, provided tonight goes okay.

Edit: Forgot to mention, bike is a K4 SV650s.
TIA

Last edited by Ceri JC; 15-06-07 at 07:55 AM. Reason: bike type
Old 15-06-07, 07:54 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting a new shock tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
...anything I need to look out for?

I've been wd40ing and oiling the (currently in place) stock suspension mounting nuts and bolts and the dog bones for the past 2 weeks, I've rigged up a system for lifting the back end in the air so the rear wheel is unloaded. I've checked I have the right size spanners/sockets (and have even made notes of sizes and torque setting).

Anything else I need to do prep wise? I have a Haynes manual and it looks straightforward enough (famous last words). Is it really neccessary to take the seat off to get at the top bolt securing the shock (it looks like I might just be able to reach them as it is)? Haynes seems to suggest you might need to remove the exhaust. It doesn't look like I will, but can anyone confirm this?

The shock is a Nitron without a remote resevoir.

Just wanted to check as a mate is coming down to give a hand and I didn't want it to be a wasted journey. Another friend will be photographing the process, so hopefully I'll have the basis of a decent "how to" guide for other people to use in future, provided tonight goes okay.

TIA
Yeah taking the seat off makes life a LOT simpler. No need to touch the exhaust. Taking the rear wheel out makes manipulating the swing arm a lot easier.

You DO have a breaker bar to undo them nuts? They are really tight.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-07, 07:57 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Default Re: Fitting a new shock tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Yeah taking the seat off makes life a LOT simpler. No need to touch the exhaust. Taking the rear wheel out makes manipulating the swing arm a lot easier.

You DO have a breaker bar to undo them nuts? They are really tight.
Yep, got a breaker bar. Ta for the tip with regard to taking the rear wheel out.
Old 15-06-07, 09:08 AM   #4
danf1234

Default Re: Fitting a new shock tonight.

Let me know how it goes because I have the exact same shock to fit to my K6 next week,

Dan
Old 15-06-07, 11:24 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
Let me know how it goes because I have the exact same shock to fit to my K6 next week,

Dan
Nitron NTBKS26_S, right?

I'd start wd-40ing and oiling bolts on yours now (ideally after right after a ride). I'll let you know how it all goes. Don't think I'll have many (if any) pics now though as the mate who was going to be photographing it all can't make it down till later this evening (and as I have no light in my garage will have to start about 4.30ish).
Old 15-06-07, 11:28 AM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

You don't have to take the seat off iirc.

You don't have to take the 'zorst off either, but f**k me access is damn awkward with it there. It leaves you very little clearance between the lower dogbone nut and the pipe.
Old 18-06-07, 11:23 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
You don't have to take the seat off iirc.

You don't have to take the 'zorst off either, but f**k me access is damn awkward with it there. It leaves you very little clearance between the lower dogbone nut and the pipe.
Agreed. I can't see that taking the seat off achieves anything whatsoever (unless you take the whole of lot of the rear end plastics that is). I left the exhaust in situ too (and my rear wheel and hugger). I actually ended up undoing the higher dogbone nuts rather than the lower ones (which aside from being fiddly to access, had seized) and pivoting them down from there. It required a bit of manipulation of the swingarm, but I managed to just get the shock in and out fine. The old one (including the bolt to fit it) has been cleaned, doused in oil and wrapped in rags and put into storage for when I send my new shock away to be serviced in a year or so.

Overall it was easier than I expected, but I was greatful to have a mate there to support the bike whilst I cracked the seized nuts undone. Only real nugget of wisdom I can pass on to anyone else doing it is when a bolt is a bit tight to remove (even when the nut is off the end), wiggle the swingarm about and lift it up a bit to take the weight off the side of the bolt. Oh and the nuts and bolts will round off at the drop of a hat, but if you've ever worked on your bike before, you'll know that already.

Needless to say, the shock is a huge improvement over the stock one (even when it was new, never mind at 27K miles) It was a lot more plush than I had expected and the ride quality is much improved (I think it'll make long distance riding less fatiguing). Doing 90 over a a potholed road is still uncomfortable for the rider, but at least the back wheel is staying planted and not skipping about.
Old 18-06-07, 11:49 AM   #8
gettin2dizzy

What did you do when you rounded the nuts? I've done this so many times now- even when being extra careful! I've managed to do it to the allen heads too
Old 18-06-07, 11:53 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
What did you do when you rounded the nuts? I've done this so many times now- even when being extra careful! I've managed to do it to the allen heads too
I ended up having to use a 12 (rather than 6, which I didn't have in the right size) sided socket to get them off. It was trying to use a spanner that caused the rounding in the first place.
Old 20-06-07, 05:22 PM   #10
Ceri JC

Just a quick update on how I'm getting on with it. Having done a few hundred miles one up on it sans pillion (first few rides bar a quick one round the block were 2 up). It's bloody fantastic. I can really see how suspension rather than outright power can make you quick. I've been absolutely flying along (at legal speeds, ahem) on rutted country lanes and not had a hint of misbehaviour out of it. The bike also feels more stable under braking and I'm actually able to brake a bit harder on the back end without locking it up.