SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 09-11-10, 04:49 PM   #1
collis

Default Cardiff Rant

Little rant that i'm sure some of you will agree with.
Why for the love of god does every road in cardiff have to be covered with OIL?
the roads are dangerous enough as it is without the badly maintinaed trucks/busses dropping fuel all accross the place.
What's worse was i drove through the heath hospital this morning and the entire place stunk of petrol almost as if a tanker has emptied it's load accross the road.

get over the mountain to caerphilly and it's all nice and clear...

something needs to be done about cardiff police, stop wasting time with ANPR checks and start chasing down poorly maintianed trucks/busses.

/rant

Collis
Old 09-11-10, 04:57 PM   #2
TEL

Default Re: Cardiff Rant

Deep breath......
Old 09-11-10, 09:04 PM   #3
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Petrol will not sit on the road, it will evaporate, what you are smelling Col is diesel.

There was a big spill of it on the Ceder Tree roundabout the other day.

I got to be fair to Cardiff Council, there are doing some things right, on the left turn from Trecillian Way onto Bute Road they have resurfaced the road as it used to be covered in holes.

They need to sort the Bulevard De Nantes/North Road junction still.

I am with you about the busses and trucks, everywhere I go when it has rained there are little "rainbow puddles" everywhere I go, which is not nice.

But, ride safe, take your time and enjoy it before it ices up
Old 09-11-10, 09:21 PM   #4
barwel1992

its the same round hear, im dodging oil and diesel at the moment on the way to collage
Old 10-11-10, 02:59 PM   #5
metalangel

It's in Caerphilly too, the other day the missus and I left the house and started walking, there was a huge, long rainbow-coloured trail coming out of the side street and down the main road. It STANK of diesel and it went a really long way... until it stopped, at a open-backed truck stopped (illegally) at the side of the road. I noticed several old jerrycans in the back, which would have just been rollnig around, spilling what was left in them all over the place and onto the road.

Cardiff's big problem is the state of the road surface. Before the total cretins in Cardiff Council shut St Mary Street for good, they should have left it open and taken the opportunity to resurface Westgate street as it's like driving over the freakin' Himalayas.

Lots of other streets are similarly rough, bumpy and crumbling. As we bounce over them we sing 'Cardiff rooooooads, take me hoooooome...'
Old 10-11-10, 04:08 PM   #6
metalangel

Maes-y-Coed Road, yesterday:

Westgate Street, this afternoon:

Old 10-11-10, 05:32 PM   #7
collis

that made me LOL.

if you actually see a truck that has been spewing fuel/oil out all over the road and know what it is you can report them, would have been good if you had as they would have been fined and probably removed from the road.

I found these pictures of Caerphilly road btw:

Sometimes when you hit a pot hole in the road i'm sure i end up in China as all the buildings look like:

Then i hit another hole in the road and all is fine.
Old 10-11-10, 08:01 PM   #8
thefallenangel

i thought those big holes belonged to the women of caerphilly?
Old 10-11-10, 08:52 PM   #9
metalangel

Thornhill Road (south of the mountain) is awful, I created my old 'road conditions' thread largely because of it. There was crappy patching over a cable near the M4 bridge, collapsing so I submitted it to the council and sure enough they went and fixed it... turning into a hump! Now you get a hell of a jolt in the car. On the bike I take it easy in case it sends you into a wobble.

But there's another pipe/cable patch at the foot of the mountain which is collapsing (and has been circled in yellow paint for... weeks now) and also the drain cover going towards the mountain which has growing potholes all around it.

I drive the same roads almost every day so I know where to position myself for most of the hazards (Caerphilly Road hump-packed bridge has some nice fally-apart bits, as does North Road) but someone unfamiliar with the area might come a cropper at this rate.
Old 11-11-10, 11:05 AM   #10
valleyboy

I went in to HG yesterday to pick up some odds and sods, and the A4232 was plastered in diesel as well... all round the J 33 roundabout as well...
went round it on tip toes to make sure I didnt end up on my **** !