SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-09, 11:53 AM   #1
AndyBrad

Default tyres again.

Ok Folks the ever popular tyres question although with a little bit more information.

Right ive got the 99 curvy naked and it came with a bt-20 rear and a bt-16 front. The rear has loads of tread on it. Its only done a couple of thousand miles. However the front is getting / got to its limit on the edges. So it needs replacing. Now I know that tyres are very much a personal preference but would like your opinions on what to do now. I could keep the bt-20 rear and get another tyre for the front. Im guessing this would be the cheapest option However what would I go for? Another BT-20? Or maybe something different. Alternatively I could scrap the rear and get a matching set of new rubber.

So what do you think? Im looking for the tyers to give me good grip in all weathers so some sports rubber is not suitable. I do a daily trip to work which is about 6-7 miles each way and a blast at the weekends. On my way to work the tyres I have on don’t really get warm and are very slippery over the first half of the journey. Im also looking to get on quite a few ride outs this year although I’m not too bothered about how long they will last as long as they make up for it in rider enjoyment (grip)

So what do you think?
Old 23-02-09, 11:57 AM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: tyres again....

Matching handles better I replaced mine more or less at the same time for dunlop sportmaxs. I'm happy with them, they're sticky but I don't know how long they'll last yet (doubt it'll be many miles). Everyone raves about avon storms, they'll be my next tyres.
Old 23-02-09, 11:58 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Ok Folks the ever popular tyres question although with a little bit more information.

Right ive got the 99 curvy naked and it came with a bt-20 rear and a bt-16 front. The rear has loads of tread on it. Its only done a couple of thousand miles. However the front is getting / got to its limit on the edges. So it needs replacing. Now I know that tyres are very much a personal preference but would like your opinions on what to do now. I could keep the bt-20 rear and get another tyre for the front. Im guessing this would be the cheapest option However what would I go for? Another BT-20? Or maybe something different. Alternatively I could scrap the rear and get a matching set of new rubber.

So what do you think? Im looking for the tyers to give me good grip in all weathers so some sports rubber is not suitable. I do a daily trip to work which is about 6-7 miles each way and a blast at the weekends. On my way to work the tyres I have on don’t really get warm and are very slippery over the first half of the journey. Im also looking to get on quite a few ride outs this year although I’m not too bothered about how long they will last as long as they make up for it in rider enjoyment (grip)

So what do you think?
Try any of these in this order

Dunlop Roadsmart
Avon Storm ST
Michelin Pilot Road 2

Haven't tried the Roadsmarts yet, but keep getting recommended them by the guys at my local tyre place.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 11:59 AM   #4
AndyBrad

so your both suggesting i scrap the existing rear?
Old 23-02-09, 12:04 PM   #5
dav806

Hi

My Black curvy had BT020's all round and it stuck to the road like glue, however due to a nagging pain at my side (missus) I sold it in August, my blue curvy that I put a deposit on yesterday has Avon Azaros on and on the test ride in the dry seemed as good as the Bridgestones, but, as you said its down to personal choice, I've nearly always had Bridgestones and replaced like for like.
Old 23-02-09, 12:05 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Get another BT-020 front if you can find them as Bridgestone dont make them anymore.

Either that or get a BT-021 as thats the BT-020 replacement

Theres nothing wrong with the Bridgestone Sport Touring tyres, its the sports ones I couldnt get on with.

I never seen the sense in replacing tyres when they still have life in them.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 12:08 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oops I rushed a bit and missed that fact.....

Depends on how important a matched set if to you.

If not important put sports touring on the front and match them when the rear needs changing.

If it is, do both.

Most tyres these days are excellent - but a lot of how they work is due to how you think they will work, its all down to trust - just remember the "Special Matched Tyres" effect in Days of Thunder

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 12:10 PM   #8
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Get another BT-020 front if you can find them as Bridgestone dont make them anymore.

Either that or get a BT-021 as thats the BT-020 replacement

Theres nothing wrong with the Bridgestone Sport Touring tyres, its the sports ones I couldnt get on with.

I never seen the sense in replacing tyres when they still have life in them.
+1 - I had BT-021's on my old Bandit and loved 'em. I'd say, keep the current rear and replace the front. However as Fizz say's, you may struggle to find a BT-020 front.
Old 23-02-09, 12:13 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I could be wrong but I'd be tempted to match them now (unless there's loads of life yet) or you'd be forever swapping the front then a few months later doing the rear...wouldn't you?
Old 23-02-09, 12:15 PM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
For sports rubber I get something like 2 rears to a front. For touring rubber (Diablo Stradas) I was wearing both out roughly evenly.

How much life is left in the rear tyre? I seem to remember the tread on a new 020 rear should be about 7mm deep, and you'll want to swap it out before it's down to 1mm.

If you think the rear's damn-near new, I'd put a front only on it.

You can mix and match tyres at will, but bear in mind the profiles and characteristics will be diferent, this can make a bike feel slightly odd in some circumstances as one tyre warms faster than the other, grips better in a given condition or has a profile that doesn't suit the other tyre. Or it can feel completely fine, there's really no real way to know.

Given this, if I was only replacing the front I'd get a bridgestone as they will have the most similar construction, profile and compound to the rear, this means I'd be putting an 020 front, or, more likely an 021 as this is the replacement and has been specifically stated to work well when combined with it's predecessor, the 020.

If I was replacing the pair I'd pick from:
Diablo Strada / Metzler Z6 (same tyre)
Avon Storm ST
Bridgestone 021
Michelin Pilot Road 2
Dunlop Roadsmart

Reviews in the Tyre section for all of the above. Modern sports-touring rubber is phenominal, I got 10,000 miles to a front & rear Diablo Strada on the ZX6R including a trackday at the end of their life scraping the footpeg through the hairpin at Lydden, and they're not the most recent of the class by any means.

Jambo