SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-09, 11:09 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Talking so close to losing it.

I was having a very good fast ride, perfect conditions over the welsh mountains, no cars and I was in the groove. I had the gf on the back and we were having a right blast, untill it almost ended in falling off the edge of the mountain.

We came up to a 90 degree slightly downhill right turn, tipped it in, everything just felt perfect, toe slider scraping, then down goes the peg and alice's toe slider on the back!!

Next second, the front end lets go and I thought that was game over as we would have gone off the edge of the mountain. But somehow, I think because the peg and our toes were down I managed to push hard on the bars, regain grip and make it round the corner.

It was the single most exhilerating experiance of my biking life. Ive never got the peg down with a pillion on and Ive never pushed so hard that the bike cant keep up. She loved it too.

This brings me on to a question, do I need better suspension to ride this hard 2 up? I know I could do with grippier tyres (Z6 on at the moment) but I cant afford the limmited miliage they offer as the bike is my only transport.
All supension is stock on the bike and I think I might have finally exceeded the bike in ablity!

I have a GSXR1000 shock and I think I should get some new springs/oil as I cant afford the initiall outlay for the front end swap. Should this give me more room to push the bike?

I just love the engine and dont really need more power, although better brakes would be nice, so I dont really want a different bike.

Any sujestions of what my next steps should be, other than to slow down
Old 20-08-09, 11:14 AM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: so close to loosing it

Hang off more.

Increasing ground clearance is good. Fit a longer shock. Fit some rearset riser plates.

Dunno how you managed to get her toe to scrape! MYCs feet aren't anywhere near. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5yeahoaTI
Old 20-08-09, 11:17 AM   #3
madness

Whether you modify suspension to make the bike handle better or not, I would suggest that sooner or later, you will pass the limits of it's or your capability and stuff it big time. Sometimes you just have to slow down a little and leave a bit in reserve.
Old 20-08-09, 11:20 AM   #4
davepreston

to me that sounds like an off you managed to mirically save ,
Old 20-08-09, 11:20 AM   #5
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

My kidneys could not take the pounding from my pillion riding like that! Top box and all.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-09, 11:21 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Usually if a peg goes down and you try to turn tighter, it jacks the back wheel off the floor and you crash. Lucky save.
Old 20-08-09, 01:25 PM   #7
Warthog

I hate to sound negative but I'd cool off riding like that on a mountain! Get a sports bike and a track if you want to go further than pegs and edges of tyres.
Old 20-08-09, 02:08 PM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Pillion toe sliders down?

Either you're going out with Charlie Chaplin or you're nuts dude, seriously, if you want to find the bike's limits do it on the track, I hate be "that guy" on his soapbox but what would you say to Alice's family if you lost control with her on the back while being a bit of a nob, you walk away but she smacks her head on a kerbstone and dies on the side of the road? Then all it takes is someone you overtook a mile back to come forward and say they witnessed you riding like a nob and you're up in court defending yourself against a Death by Dangerous Driving charge, followed by prison time, loss of license and criminal record. It's just not worth it on the public road when you can have so much more fun pushing it on the track

As for upgrading the bike, I wouldn't bother, by making the bike more capable you only increase the speed at which you'll be going when you find the limit and stack it - save the cash and get yourself a summer of trackdays, or if you're feeling flush another bike to use on the track and a summer of trackdays.
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-09, 02:26 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Phew, glad you're here to tell this tale!!!! Go easy with precious cargo on the back my friend. You on your own, fair enough its your life in your hands but please take it easy as a slightly slippier surface might have us having a thread saying RIP to you both and none of us want that!

I appreciate you didnt do it on purpose but please go easy mate.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-09, 03:32 PM   #10
pencil shavings

I usually do hang off alot more but with the pillion on the back it is harder to shift the weight about.

I think I stood the bike up as aposed to tightening up the turn as I was through the apex. but it all happened so fast and I didnt do anything conciously.

She got her toe down because her heel was on the peg, not her toe like mine was. She was just very excited that she got her toe down lol. Its hard to ride slower espically when she keeps telling me she wants to go fast. But I think you lot are right, ive got to calm and keep us alive. LW - I know, I would be so deverstated if that happened, and I know you are right, but its hard sometimes to be restrained.

But the irony of it was that the corner felt like the best corner ive ever taken, it was just so smooth and everything felt in harmony, I guess thats why it went so far over!

Ive never done a track day and I think I should asap and get a track bike, but funds are tight. my bike has 0mm chicken strips on the front and about 0.5mm on the rear

maybe I will limit myself abit now when riding 2 up. I hope I didnt come accross as cocky or anything like that, I dont ride that fast when there is trafic around.