SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-18, 10:01 PM   #1
AdamR

Default SV 650 Fork Seal Washer Missing

Hi everyone,

I bought a SV 650 last year, and have put around a total of 7000 miles on the bike.

I replaced my seals the other day, not due to them leaking, but down to the dust seal being excessively rusted, as it had been left outside most of its life from the previous owner.

Upon disassembly I noticed that the fork seal washer that sits underneath the fork seal, but above the bush, was missing on the one fork leg, obviously due to not having one to hand, and needing the bike the following day I reassembled it. I do have a washer on order, but I was wondering how necessary is the washer?

As stated the bike has done around 7000 miles in my ownership, and an unknown amount of miles with the previous owner from when he had the fork seals done. Is it shear luck that I've had absolutely no issues with the seals / forks, because it's going to take around 2 weeks or so for my local Suzuki dealer to get the part in, and due to new circumstances I will be needing to use my bike at least 5 days a week totaling approximately 60 miles a day.

So as I say, have I just been lucky to not have any issues, and if so, what exactly do I need to look out for, any potential safety issues etc?

Cheers.