SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-01-08, 08:37 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default The cost of living

Edit - wasn't intended to stay on here for eternity

Last edited by gettin2dizzy; 29-01-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 28-01-08, 09:08 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: The cost of living

what do you do for a job and what sort of pay bracket are you? also how many years have you been working ie experience?
Old 28-01-08, 09:11 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

I'm an Engineer on a placement, I've finished my BEng, and have 1 semester left after this. It's frickin fuel, food and tax which nails me!
Old 28-01-08, 09:16 PM   #4
600+

erm then I think you are daydreaming if you expect to be paid proper money while on placement! none of the students I work with on placement get paid proper money so don't moan about it to much. all struggled while being students...if you are good and with a bit of luck on your side when you graduate you will get paid properly
Old 28-01-08, 09:17 PM   #5
laMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I'm an Engineer on a placement, I've finished my BEng, and have 1 semester left after this. It's frickin fuel, food and tax which nails me!
what "low" pay bracket are you on?, if you are prepared to share that info
Old 28-01-08, 09:21 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Yup its getting more expenisve for sure, I paid £1111 in tax ect last pay check, I was like WTF

I keep my out goings as low as possiable but when you have to get the tyre plugged on the bike, get your car wrote off it out of your control.

I don't eat take out unless it the very last resort, (or sharing with friends thats the best way!) becasue of the cost. I would to try buy somewhere, but I know for sure when I do I will find it hard. I hoping the property market crashes big time like they are saying, then I might actually be able to get something........

I can see it getting more expenisve and pay no where near matching the increases, I can't wait until my student load is payed in about 3/4 years.
Old 28-01-08, 09:21 PM   #7
dissuade

I know what you mean, I have 3 jobs at the moment, run around non-stop from 7am until i go to bed at around 1am, I've got to do uni coursework and supposedly 25 hours of extra reading per week. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Constant bike repairs, my house that fell apart, mortgage, loan repayments, bills, etc are crippling me. Whilst living on my own is great, it is phenomenally expensive.

AND the bleedin tax man has just asked me for £350 quid that I supposedly owe them from the last 3 years! I thought I paid enough tax as it it at almost 300 quid a month!! Grrrschbugger.
Old 28-01-08, 09:23 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Placement as in I'm a full time employee of Britains largest employer, not on work experience. I'm currently leading a £1million project for them; I've got a degree and don't do any uni work whatsoever.

I've been fine until the past month or so, when you're on my budget you really notice the little increases happening everywhere.

As for students- different lifestyles. You've got all day to not spend money, not have to go anywhere, not have to pay tax, not need to look smart.

Last edited by gettin2dizzy; 29-01-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 28-01-08, 09:24 PM   #9
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissuade View Post
I know what you mean, I have 3 jobs at the moment, run around non-stop from 7am until i go to bed at around 1am, I've got to do uni coursework and supposedly 25 hours of extra reading per week. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Constant bike repairs, my house that fell apart, mortgage, loan repayments, bills, etc are crippling me. Whilst living on my own is great, it is phenomenally expensive.

AND the bleedin tax man has just asked me for £350 quid that I supposedly owe them from the last 3 years! I thought I paid enough tax as it it at almost 300 quid a month!! Grrrschbugger.
I still paying for being a student I wish I had cut back on the loans that I had, though it will gone soon with any luck.
Old 28-01-08, 09:33 PM   #10
laMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissuade View Post

get yourself a One Account, no loan repayments as you put it all in one, and your money (the one you have) is lowering the interest you pay on your mortgage. I would never go back to a normal mortgage. I know that if I can't afford the grand of bills this month, no one will come knocking asking for money nor will the account get overdrawn.
Rent a room, although it's not ideal it's money coming in.