SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-24, 09:14 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Warship

I've been watching Warship (series 3) on Ch5 which is an older program. It follows HMS Northumberland, a type 23 frigate.

I feel it doesn't show the frigate in the best light as the drama of locating a Russian submarine unfolds.
It has caught fire twice, been partially flooded in heavy seas and where they got rid of excess water using a chain of guys with buckets (didn't they have a pump?). The sonar packed up and needed repair. The on board helicopter ran out of sonar buoys. Finally, it collided with something (most likely a deliberate action by the Russian submarine) which put the sonar out of action completely and requires it to return to port. I'm only on week 4.

To be fair, it is an older ship being launched in 1992 and I'm guessing it's out of warranty but it seems a bit fragile to me.
Is this typical, anyone know?
Old 23-03-24, 04:27 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Warship

It would make for very poor telly if everything worked and nothing ever went wrong though. They recently showed a repeat of the one of HMS Brave from about 25 years ago and there was the one of HMS Queen Elizabeth on her first round the world deployment. Living in a small cramped messdeck with a dozen or more others for months on end and only rarely getting any shore time reminds me why the RN can't recruit and retain young people any more.