SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-06, 11:53 AM   #11
Amanda M

I'm about 5'3" and have never ever had a bike I could get both feet down at the same time, and that was even learning on a 125. Even on the raptor it's tippy toes or one foot flat on the ground. You just learn to deal with it and not stop on odd cambers.
Old 21-06-06, 12:48 PM   #12
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
You just learn to deal with it and not stop on odd cambers.
I don't think you should ever put up with it. My bike came lowered via long dog bones and forks pointing through the yoke.
I wouldn't have done it for myself (5'7") but I see no need to change it back. (Only the bike doesn't lean as much on its stand - but its reassuring to get both heels down)
Don't forget to do the front if you do dog bones for the back.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-06, 01:05 PM   #13
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
You just learn to deal with it and not stop on odd cambers.
I don't think you should ever put up with it. My bike came lowered via long dog
Unfortunately, some people don't get a choice if they want to ride a bike.

Even doing everything possible to lower my bike, I'm still on tip-toes on both sides, but at least I can reach the ground on both sides.

I doubt I'll ever be able to ride a bike where I can get both feet flat on the floor, its one of those things I accept that I can't do anything about.
Old 21-06-06, 01:17 PM   #14
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
I would only drop the front and back as the last resort as it does affect handling. Not too much, but you don't really want to affect it if you can help it.

HTH
This is probably more what i should have quoted.
I just wanted to say that I have had this done and it affects me so little that I'm not inclined to change it back even though I don't need it.
Also I meant you shouldn't have to put up with it without trying anything at all.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-06, 01:31 PM   #15
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
I would only drop the front and back as the last resort as it does affect handling. Not too much, but you don't really want to affect it if you can help it.

HTH
This is probably more what i should have quoted.
I just wanted to say that I have had this done and it affects me so little that I'm not inclined to change it back even though I don't need it.
Also I meant you shouldn't have to put up with it without trying anything at all.
oh definitely! I was told I shouldn't ride a SV because it would be too tall for me but I had decided on an SV so that was what I was damn well going to ride! So, much lowering later, I had what was known at the Soho meets as the lowest SV in town

I now have a CBR600F which I was also told would be too high for me and they 'can't be lowered' apparently. Well, yes you can! I dropped the front, back and since I can't find dogbones anywhere, I got a custom shock made instead. The bike gets quite a bit of attention at places like Boxhill as it is so low.

Law, I still say a pair of Ladystar boots is always good
Old 21-06-06, 03:41 PM   #16
K

OK, I'm really gonna have to meet some of you ladies, cos I must have strangely long legs for someone who is also only 5 foot 4 inches!

I had about 1 inch taken out of the seat of my SV and that was it, the rest of the bike is standard height - yet I get both feet flat on the floor.

Again I only had 1 1/2 inches taken out of the seat of the Blue 'Blade and I can comfortably get the balls of both feet on the floor.

Were do you measure your inside leg to? Is it just below your ankle bone (level with the top of your foot)? If so I've got a 27 inch inside leg - how des that compare.
Old 21-06-06, 03:47 PM   #17
mudge32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
I will not be trying the Daytona Ladystar boots.
Here ya go then

Always fancied a pair, but, wouldn't like to bet on them fitting under the gear lever
Old 21-06-06, 03:55 PM   #18
Kate

K, I measure to the ground, and I'm 26/27 inches
Old 21-06-06, 03:55 PM   #19
Aurora

Have to agree with most others, get longer dog bones (lowering kit), hubby fitted mine distructions here .

I lost approx 4½ inches of the total height, getting the lowering kit, and sculpting the seat. I'm 5'1 (and a bit), inside leg 28ish, and can now get both feet flat on the ground.
Old 21-06-06, 03:58 PM   #20
mudge32

You'll lot must really struggle! I'm a 29" inside leg and can only just touch the floor on a standard height SK1