SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-06, 07:59 PM   #1
adey

Default jack up kit help!!!

i have just ordered a jack up kit and was wondering if there was any help anybody can give me any hints or tips on fitting these please?

what is the best way of jacking the bike up to work on it for this? i have a paddock stand is this sufficient?
Old 03-01-06, 08:01 PM   #2
Carsick

You need to take the weight off the rear suspension. The best way to do this is to get a decent stand that connects at the swingarm pivot. I haven't had to do it without one, so won't offer any tips there.

To get the old dogbones off, first, undo them, and you'll probably find that they're a bugger to move. Just put your foot under the rear wheel and apply a little bit of lift and the bolts should slide straight out.
Old 03-01-06, 08:10 PM   #3
Stig

I changed mine recently. Depending on the age of the bike and if they have ever been moved before, they could be very very tight indeed. As Michael stated you need to have the rear of the bike off the ground and not using the rear swing arm to do so. So a paddock stand will not do it.

You could maybe try a set of steps to act as an A frame and tie the back of the bike up whilst it's on the paddock stand. When you have secured the bike to your make shift A frame, remove the paddock stand. You will need to find a way to stabilise the bike though.
Old 04-01-06, 12:44 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Or if you've got a garage, swing it from the roof. An ABBA or NWS stand is better, but quite expensive if you won't make regular use of it.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 01:32 PM   #5
cassius

you can use the side stand as a pivot and get either an axle stand on the opposite side, or get a slave to hold the bike in possition. it isnt heavy once you get it on the balance point. another tip is remove your hugger if you have got one. (just in case your slave lets go!!!) crunch!!
Old 05-01-06, 03:59 PM   #6
gc350

I got a mate of mine to support the back end of the bike whilst i fitted mine, in hindsight not the best way to do it, cos if he'd slippen and let go, it would have been like a bloody guilotene.

How ever you do it, make sure it is secure before you start.