SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-12, 04:57 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Assault on a teacher

So, phone calk from my wife. A secondary student has slammed a door into her back today wbile she stood in the doorway. She is suffering neck and back pain. Violence against teachers seems to be a common occurrence in tbis school and IMO the school has a poor history in dealing with it and tends to come down in favour of the student and fails to support the teacher. The occurrences just in my wifes department of 5 teachers alone, include a pregnant teacher being pushed into the wall and another being stabbed with a pen. In neither case was the student expelled or even te.porarily suspended.

Any thoughts on what the next steps should be are welcome please, particularly from those who work in education (how wouldit be dealt with in your workplace?). We dont have much confidence the school will sort the issue in a satisfactory manner (expulsion IMO) but of course will go through that process first.

Involve the police, go to the teachers union? All thoughts welcome.
Old 01-03-12, 04:59 PM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: Assault on a teacher

posting from phone pls excuse typos
Old 01-03-12, 05:02 PM   #3
tom-k6

find out the kids name, wait for him to leave school and find a dark alleyway to kick the shizzle out of him. will soon stop it. i do believe they need to come down hard one this, as when i was at school we had one "hard lad" square up to a relatively small maths teacher, the teacher tried to back off and the lad grabbed him. never seen a teacher use martial arts in class room and flatten someone so fast before. the teacher was, on this occasion, given a week suspension while they dealt with the lad through the police and the teacher came back with a HELL of alot of respect from all the pupils as people knew not to mess with him.

hope she's alright mate, she should be supported by the school but we all know how it can be twisted by students etc and they usually end up taking the students side as they may have "anger issues" etc.
Old 01-03-12, 05:12 PM   #4
pookie

What is the head doing about it and what are the school policies and procedures on this?
Hope your wife is ok and hope the school can do more to protect its employees.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 05:16 PM   #5
Winder

More people = louder voice.
Could your other half talk to the other teachers and have them all refuse to teach any class this student is in until he/she is suspended? They should be suspended while the police investigate the assault, if there is no real evidence the student is reinstated, if they are charged by the police push for expulsion.
Old 01-03-12, 05:17 PM   #6
speedplay

It's not ise in Kettering is it..?
Old 01-03-12, 05:20 PM   #7
Specialone

I'd go the proper route,

Head, demand action, investigation then punishment based on findings.

Then the union, if they do bugger all then the police.

If it's swept under the carpet, it WILL keep happening.

Tbh, I do feel the police should be informed straight away but I understand this could cause issues with her colleagues.

Hope she's ok Col, violence in schools is not acceptable, police would soon be called if a teacher assaulted a pupil.
Old 01-03-12, 06:10 PM   #8
martin15s

Police with medical evidence of bruising or other visible signs (if any) asap.

Last edited by martin15s; 01-03-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 06:12 PM   #9
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Ralph - I can only tell you what would happen in my school. I have to add the caveat that, although there are at least County wide guidleines, if not Nationwide, in so many ways it is down to the individual schools' policies ( this varies even more now so many schools are now Academies, but don't got me started on that).
If that had happened in the school where I work (which is judged as 'Good' by Ofsted) the first consequence, as a temporary holding measure until more information came about, would be to isolate the student in our Inclusion Room. Other close witnesses to the event may also be put there (for safe keeping, if you like), then statements would be made by all involved. When I say statements I mean a written account of what happened that they are willing to put their signature to If there was sufficient evidence to clearly show that X shoved Y we would admininster punishment as per guidelines. In this type of case it would typically include some days suspension (temporary exclusion) from school.
However, the really big issue is the history of said student. The consequences are very different if it's a one off or first behaviour of this order. If it's the most recent of a history of behavioral incidents then the consequences are much more dire.
I can you more by PM if you want
I hope your wife is ok and not too shaken by the ordeal. Remember that MOST kids, MOST of the time are great

Last edited by Messie; 01-03-12 at 06:13 PM.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 06:12 PM   #10
SIII
Mega Poster

Your missus has my deepest sympathy. I worked in a large comp outside Mansfield before moving up here to a 'good' school. I was involved in many physical assaults whilst at the previous place. My classroom at the front of the school and being 6'2'', i was often called into action to stop fights and assaults of pupils by groups. Not once was I ever backed by the school or action taken against pupils when they swung for me! It was just seen as part of the job and get on with it.
On one occasion 2 girls were fighting, full on hair pulling and biting. A female colleague stepped in to protect the assaultee and seperated them. I then stepped between and the instigator left the premise to be dealt with later(Friday after school, most popular fight time). The police turned up Monday morning and removed colleague for questioning and were going to charge her with assault of the little b1tch that caused all the trouble. Was not sorted till affidavit had to be given by me and charges were dropped. The headmadster then stood up in the staffroom and declared the school and authority were unable to support teachers in such a situation!!!
That unfortunately is the state of education in our country. From my expierence - forget it! Cos you ain't gonna get any satisfaction from school, authority or police! I fully understand your anger and frustration but all you will get is dissapointment from all concerned.
If you have a good management at the school they should go for expulsion but this is very difficult to get, all the rules are against it. Suspension would probably the best you can hope for.

Last edited by SIII; 01-03-12 at 06:15 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote